Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warwickshire RHA

Midland Oak

Hello,

Can anyone help please. Im trying to research the Warwickshire RHA who served in Flanders 1914 and Cologne 1918. 

At our local park 'Midland Oak' park 'centre of England',Leamington Spa is a memorial to the regiment. Story has it the company were stationed on the field prior to disembarking to France.

How would i attempt to try and find any record of this does anyone know please? Please see photo attached.

Best wishes 

IMG_0011.JPG

Welcome to the Forum,

Warwickshire Battery RHA were based at Leamington Spa from 1911 apart from one sub-section at Coventry. The Ammuntion Column was shared between Leamington Spa and Henley-in-Arden. Headquarters was at 9 Clarendon Place, but they might have used the field when first mobilized. They were sent to Bury St. Edmunds on August 16, 1914. This was the first Territorial Force battery to go over to France, disembarking at Havre on November 1, 1914 (Medal index cards have the embarkation date of October 30, 1914).

See http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/Warwickshire/TownLeamingtonSpa.htm

The Hon. Robert Evelyn Eden.  1/1 Warwickshire R.H.A. disembarked 1/11/14 - roll shows 31/10/14 as per #2, his MIC shows him serving 15th Brigade Inter-allied Comm of Control post war.

Scan_20151028 (11).png

30850_A000489-00475.jpg

Robert Eden mentioned in GWF1967's post above is recorded along with other men from the Battery in the '29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book'.  Awards, killed and wounded etc. The Battery is also mentioned a few times in a short history at the back of the book whilst it formed part of the 29th Divisional Artillery in France.

Regards

Alan

'Brooke's Battery - A History of the 1/1st Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery 1908-1919' by Philip SPINKs  was published by Brewin Books in 2008; ISBN  978-1-85858-422-5 is well worth reading.

Likewise 'Before the Echoes Die Away' by NDG JAMES  includes the Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery within the history of 268th (Warwickshire) Field Regiment Royal Artillery (Territorial Army) published in 1980. We have copies of this book in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum,  ISBN 0 9506911 0 0.

Our  Museum which is run entirely by volunteers re-opens Good Friday for the 2018 Season -  suggest you contact me via enquiry form on our Museum website.

Philip

7 hours ago, Philip Wilson said:

'Brooke's Battery - A History of the 1/1st Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery 1908-1919' by Philip SPINKs  was published by Brewin Books in 2008; ISBN  978-1-85858-422-5 is well worth reading.

Likewise 'Before the Echoes Die Away' by NDG JAMES  includes the Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery within the history of 268th (Warwickshire) Field Regiment Royal Artillery (Territorial Army) published in 1980. We have copies of this book in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum,  ISBN 0 9506911 0 0.

Our  Museum which is run entirely by volunteers re-opens Good Friday for the 2018 Season -  suggest you contact me via enquiry form on our Museum website.

Philip

If I may add that I managed get to see the museum last year, it's small and compact but full of artifacts, well worth a visit. As it run by volunteers best to check opening times as it could be closed when you turn up, particularly out of season, not that I would do such a thing. 

Regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo

• 1 month later...
On 01/02/2018 at 20:53, David Porter said:

Welcome to the Forum,

Warwickshire Battery RHA were based at Leamington Spa from 1911 apart from one sub-section at Coventry. The Ammuntion Column was shared between Leamington Spa and Henley-in-Arden. Headquarters was at 9 Clarendon Place, but they might have used the field when first mobilized. They were sent to Bury St. Edmunds on August 16, 1914. This was the first Territorial Force battery to go over to France, disembarking at Havre on November 1, 1914 (Medal index cards have the embarkation date of October 30, 1914).

See http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/Warwickshire/TownLeamingtonSpa.htm

Hello David, Many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated. Thank you for the link, i never new there was a site for old drill halls. This one is the Royal Naval club now which im sure you know. Thanks again, Gary

On 01/02/2018 at 21:25, GWF1967 said:

The Hon. Robert Evelyn Eden.  1/1 Warwickshire R.H.A. disembarked 1/11/14 - roll shows 31/10/14 as per #2, his MIC shows him serving 15th Brigade Inter-allied Comm of Control post war.

Scan_20151028 (11).png

30850_A000489-00475.jpg

On 01/02/2018 at 21:25, GWF1967 said:

Hi GWF, What a wonderful photo of RE Eden, thank you for sharing it and his service record. They brilliant and give a personal touch to the regiment. This is a great start my quest. Thanks again. Gary

On 02/02/2018 at 10:05, alantwo said:

Robert Eden mentioned in GWF1967's post above is recorded along with other men from the Battery in the '29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book'.  Awards, killed and wounded etc. The Battery is also mentioned a few times in a short history at the back of the book whilst it formed part of the 29th Divisional Artillery in France.

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan Two, I shall attempt to find the record and honours book. I guess they may have one at the Yeomanry as mentioned below. Thanks again for your help, best wishes Gary

On 02/02/2018 at 21:51, Philip Wilson said:

Philip

Thank you Philip, I shall be bringing my wallet when i visit. I shall contact you via the website as instructed. Thank you for sharing the information. Most helpful and see you some time soon. best wishes Gary

On 03/02/2018 at 05:32, alantwo said:

If I may add that I managed get to see the museum last year, it's small and compact but full of artifacts, well worth a visit. As it run by volunteers best to check opening times as it could be closed when you turn up, particularly out of season, not that I would do such a thing. 

Regards

Alan

: ) Thank you for the tip Alan..

The Territorial and Reserve Forces Act was passed  in 1907 having for it's object the re-organisation of His Majesty's Military Forces, and for that purpose ordered the establishment  of County Associations for the raising and maintenance of a Territorial Force. By Order in Council which followed the passing of the Act, the Units of Yeomanry and Volunteers of every County were transferred to the Territorial Force, and the Warwickshire Yeomanry henceforth became the Cavalry Unit of the County Force.

The 3 Regiments of Warwickshire, Gloucestershire, and Worcestershire Yeomanry, with the newly formed Battery of Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery, formed the 1st South Midland Mounted Brigade of the Southern Command with Headquarters at 12, Northgate Street, Warwick. 

The 1/1st Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery Battery was known as BROOKE'S Battery and was the first Territorial Artillery Battery to go to France in October 1914.

In 1908 BROOKE'S Battery temporary Headquarters was in the Warwick Castle Stable Block, it later moved to Clarendon Place, Leamington Spa. The Battery had 4 guns.

We have some photographs in amongst our Warwickshire Yeomanry Archive of BROOKE’S Battery circa 1908-1910 whilst on exercise with the 1st South Midland Mounted Brigade.

Our Museum re-opens on Good Friday 30 March at 11am for the 2018 Season – see website for normal hours of opening.

• 4 months later...

Hi Philip,

I've tried to access the archive request form from the museum website to arrange a time to come and visit. I cannot seem to find the opening hours. Does one have to book?

Would you be able to email the details or what i need to do please Philip. gaztimlin@gmail.com or 07900534452.

Kind regards Gary Timlin

10 hours ago, Midland Oak said:

Hi Philip,

I've tried to access the archive request form from the museum website to arrange a time to come and visit. I cannot seem to find the opening hours. Does one have to book?

Would you be able to email the details or what i need to do please Philip. gaztimlin@gmail.com or 07900534452.

Kind regards Gary Timlin

Gary

Apologies we appear to have a glitch on our Museum website and are working to try to resolve it.  The Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum is open at weekends between Easter and end of October from 10am until 4pm. Other times by appointment those wishing to do so should pm me direct.   Regrettably we have very little archive material relating to individuals who served with the Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery or the successor units. No doubt you are familiar with the book 'Before the Echoes Die Away - the Story of a Warwickshire Territorial Gunner Regiment 1892-1969' by N.D.G.JAMES.  I have emailed you direct.

Philip

Edited by Philip Wilson

Just a little fact: several members of Leamington Town FC (at least I think that was the name at the time) served in the Warwickshire RHA.

The "Courier" of 7 August 1914 reported that the men of the battery, with the exception of those who actually lived in Leamington, were billeted at the Drill Hall. By 21 August it had left the town.

Edited by Chris_Baker

1 hour ago, Chris_Baker said:

Just a little fact: several members of Leamington Town FC (at least I think that was the name at the time) served in the Warwickshire RHA.

The "Courier" of 7 August 1914 reported that the men of the battery, with the exception of those who actually lived in Leamington, were billeted at the Drill Hall. By 21 August it had left the town.

Chris - Thanks. The 1/1st Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery mobilisation is covered in Philip SPINKS useful book 'BROOKES BATTERY', published by BREWIN BOOKS in 2008.

The 1/1st WRHA mustered on the Midland Oak Park, Lillington, Leamington Spa on the 14 August 1914 and rode down to the Leamington Railway Station  bound for Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. The Battery was based at Grove Farm near Thurlston. Nearby was the 1st South Midland Mounted Brigade which included the1/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry who had commenced mobilising on the 4/5 August 1914, entraining at Milverton Station for Bury St Edmunds on the 13 August 1914 - their story is well covered in ADDERLEY's  The Warwickshire Yeomanry in the Great War,' published in 1922.  

Many thanks gentlemen. I've just read the chapter regarding the RHA in the 'Before the echoes die away' book. Very interesting indeed.

So, there are names of those who fell as recorded in the book taken from St.Mary's church Warwick. 

Chris, do you know of any names who served in the RHA? 

My next stop would be to see if any of the names of the fallen are in the 1911 census as living locally, Lillington/Leamington/Milverton etc. 

It is very hard to find any record of those who were local, fought and returned from war. 

Kind regards 

I have seen some handwritten lists of members of the 1/1st Warwick RHA  from Oct ?1914 online [ref WO363-4, ] so may be findable again online - I had a few notes [spelling/address not checked] with: rank name Nr Religion NoKin, NoKin address - as I recall may well be a full list.. FMPast may be the place to look ..

BSM F Waters [103] - 9 Clarendon Place. L'gton

QMS N B St J Cowie [91] Langley beaufor Rd W Southbourne Hants

Sgt T Croton [4015] Huish Farm Radstock, Bath

Sgt S McGregor [156] 38 Binswood Ave L'gton

Sgt H W Megevey [15] 15 Chrry St Warwick

Sgt H Parkes [45] 53 Lower Ford St

Sgt C Scampton [218] The Elms FoleshillRd Cov

Farr St Sgt T H Partridge [304] Butlers Marston Kineton

Saddler St Sgt H Winyard [124] 12 Clarendon Ave L'gton

Ammunition Column

S M G F Waters [123] Avenue Hotel L'gton

QMS A B Smith [129] 50 Rother St Stratford

2 hours ago, Midland Oak said:

Many thanks gentlemen. I've just read the chapter regarding the RHA in the 'Before the echoes die away' book. Very interesting indeed.

So, there are names of those who fell as recorded in the book taken from St.Mary's church Warwick. 

Chris, do you know of any names who served in the RHA? 

My next stop would be to see if any of the names of the fallen are in the 1911 census as living locally, Lillington/Leamington/Milverton etc. 

It is very hard to find any record of those who were local, fought and returned from war. 

Kind regards 

Gary - The roll of the 1/1st Warwickshire RHA war dead can be found in Appendix B of the book  BROOKE'S BATTERY'  by Philip SPINKS.

Volume 1 of the 'County of Warwickshire Roll of Honour 1914-2005' by Kenneth FOWLER provides brief biographical details of all those who died during the Great War whose names feature on local War Memorials in South Warwickshire - for example there are 8 WRHA men whose names can be found on the Warwick War Memorial. I have a list of those 8 names.

I am some what busy elsewhere for much of this week and suggest you call and see me in the Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum, Warwick  next weekend, especially as we have both of these books in our Museum Archive.  We do not lend books but you are welcome to peruse them in our Museum next weekend.  

Philip 

Edited by Philip Wilson