Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt John Fox Russell VC, MC

michaeldr

The Kibbutz Lahav community in the Negev encompasses the area which in the Great War was known as Tel el Khuweilfe.

As I understand it, next month they are planning to open an observation point overlooking the battlefield and in the fullness of time equip it with information boards describing events there in November 1917.

They are particularly interested in the life, background and actions of Captain John Fox Russell VC, MC who lost his life there on 6th November 1917.

A lot of information is already available on the web (eg Dr. E Dolev's article in the Journal of the RAMC [1996: 142 : 126-128])

however the kibbutz is looking for any further information which might help complete the story of Captain Russell's life

and they would be very interested in making contact with surviving family members.

If any member can help them please contact me here on this thread, or send me a PM if that is preferred

and I will be happy to pass on any information received

Edited by michaeldr

I'd suggest you contact Alister Williams, author of the 2-volume Heart of a Dragon, (Bridge Books, Wrexham 2008) which chronicles in some detail all the Welsh-related VC winners.  Fox Russell is in Vol. 2, which covers the years 1914 to 1982.  

The author can be reached directly through contacting the publishing company Bridge Books of Wrexham.  http://bridgebooks.co.uk/   

Clive