Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Last Battle" by Peter Hart

scott_dog

24 minutes ago, 17107BM said:

Hello all. 

Just to ask, when the does the book come on sale? Looking forward to it. Thanks to those who took the time to post reviews.

Cheers all.

Gary.

Currently slated for publication on Feb 15

This link takes you to it release 15 Feb. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Battle-Endgame-Western-Front/dp/1781254826/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1517771680&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=the+last+bittle+hart

Using that link gives the GWF a small affiliation commission

Keith

Thanks Gents for the link and the date.

Gary..

I always enjoy Peter's books, and look forward to reading it in due course.

Regardless of the sparkling reviews and positive comments I have ordered a copy anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

It is a great read, here's my attempt at a book review -:

The Last Battle - Endgame on the Western Front, 1918

Author : Peter Hart
Profile Books - ISBN : 978-1781254820
Hardback - 395 pages + acknowledgements, notes and index
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we move towards commemorating the end of the Great War it's appropriate that the latest book from Peter Hart deals with the final 100 days of the conflict and it's a cracker.

Hart has an easy to read, fluid style and the narrative is expertly woven around witness statements to highlight and expand on the action. We are treated to extracts not just from British and Commonwealth soldiers but also French troops as well as the Americans, who had just joined the action. Most interestingly we also hear from the 'enemy' with German contributions posing their points of view and lastly, our senior politicians of both sides of the divide have their say too.

The opening chapter of the book is a brief run through of the developments and progress of the war up to the beginning of 1918; highlighting the political meddling, dwindling in numbers and quality of reinforcements as well as the collapse of Russia and their retreat from the conflict as the country fell into Bolshevism culminating in their peace treaty of March 1918. The German troops removed from the Eastern front were redeployed to the Western Front, with the aim of helping to achieve victory prior to the arrival of the American Expeditionary Force.

The book focuses on the battles of Meuse-Argonne, Canal-du-Nord & the Hindenberg Line, Flanders, Selle, Sambre and Mons. The description of the action is easy to follow and clear, precise maps with appropriate commentary from the troops as we see the German momentum carrying on until the French 10th Army turned things round in mid-July. The ease with which the German defence collapsed is mirrored in the sense of despair in the commentary of the German troops.

Another element of the German commentary, which is particularly interesting, is their  appreciation of the brave but naive American troops seeing action for the first time and suffering a similar fate to the BEF at the start of the conflict.

In the final chapter, headed Aftermath, some men were retained for a number of years and we hear of their frustration, venting at their interminable wait to be demobilised following the cessation of hostilities.  Much work was still to be carried out on clearance of the battlefields and as members of the occupying army of the Rhine.

Mind you, once the troops did return home it wasn't really the land fit for heroes they were promised and Hart points out that for many of the men, their greatest battles were still to come as they tried to settle back into civilian life.

This is a book which I can't recommend highly enough, it would be a great addition to anyone's bookshelf with an interest in the Great War.

My copy arrived today. Initial perusal confirms all the positive comments. Interestingly, the

acknowledgements listing refers to Chris Baker’s Long, Long Train website...

I understand that Max Hastings has given it a very good review...

Bernard

32 minutes ago, squirrel said:

.... the acknowledgements listing refers to Chris Baker’s Long, Long Train website...

I've also ordered the book, not just to see this though.

Cheers,

Derek.

Credit where credit is due old chap. Another finely crafted tome to add to the collection.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/02/2018 at 17:09, squirrel said:

My copy arrived today. Initial perusal confirms all the positive comments. Interestingly, the

Arrrggghhh!

Pete

On 18/02/2018 at 17:09, squirrel said:

Sounds like a bit of advertising puff, puff, puff. Choo! Choo!

Bernard

On 3/13/2018 at 20:05, PMHart said:

Arrrggghhh!

Pete

Should've had it proof read!

Yep. Prowfreading is esential. 

Beranrd

• 4 weeks later...

OK then, head above parapet time.

Dropped lots of hints to family members that this would make an excellent birthday present, for once the message got through and it was duly unwrapped a couple of weeks ago, so far so good.

I will not criticise the authors grasp of his subject and his ability to get the facts across to all levels of great war interested parties, that is beyond dispute.

But, . . . 1/3rd of the way in I am struggling to stay with it.

The 'where we are' chapter is way too long for an introduction, and I can see many casual students giving up before progressing past that point.

I am also finding it a little dis-jointed.

just my opinion mind.

OK...reading all this convinced me... I bought the kindle version... bound to keep me busy during watchkeeper's duty!