Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Third Army trench panorama

Silentarius

Can somebody identify the location of a Third Army photographic panorama, number 560, made on 11.5.17? It runs from "Arieux Wood" on the left to "Bois du Sart" on the right.

Thanks in advance for any additional information!

Panorama 560.jpg

It is to the north east of Arras.  I don't seem to be able to link to a map but Arleux and Oppy are about 8 km NE of Arras and Drocourt a few Km further.

Hi Silentarius and welcome to the forum. HtB has beaten me to it but I also think this photograph looks to be taken from somewhere near Gavrelle looking north east towards the end of the battle of Arras. A the time it was taken the German front line ran through the edge of Oppy Wood, Arleux had just been captured by Canadian forces.

Pete

It looks like it was taken from 51b.H.10.d.8.7, which is SW of Gavrelle. See here.

It is about seven miles from where it was taken to Fosse de Drocourt, which is about the furthest of the points noted on that section.

Phil

Edit: this map is more representative of the date (corrected to 25th May 1917), than the one I posted above.

Edited by Phil Evans

1 minute ago, Heid the Ba' said:

Apologies for not welcoming you Siletarius, I missed the fact it was your first post.

It's entirely my pleasure to be here.

8 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

Looks like a burial marker in the foreground. Easy to see how they could get lost.

Is it a grave marker?  It looks a bit like the base of a spool of barbed wire.