Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another group Id - if possible please

heatherannej

Hello again ... it may be that you need to ask me to a take close up from this group photograph, before you can help me.   I can only tell you that this ended up amongst a V.A.D. nurse's collection photographs of nurses and soldiers - she worked at Frinton-on-Sea and Walton-on-Naze Home Hospitals, which won't help really.  One clue on the back of the photograph is the photographer's stamp: "W.T. MUNNS  7 & 8 WINDMILL ST. GRAVESEND".    I can see that some lads are Territorials, wearing the "Imperial Service" badges.   Any help will be so beneficial, thanks in advance.  Heather

BlancheMillerCollection_03.jpg.4fb20f8a7d930acb1b819b2110b8d8a1.jpg

Cap badge looks like Royal Engineers 

Royal Engineers - Fortress 

No. 5 Electric Lights Company, Gillingham with a drill station at Gravesend

thetrenchrat22 ... Thanks so much for that, it helps a lot.   Heather

Some of the men have a 'badge above their right tunic pockets,  Anybody know what it is?

simon

Hi,

It looks like the Imperial Service badge worn by TF to indicate willingness to serve overseas.

827A9CCF-2C2F-432C-8A42-BAE01F4C040B.jpeg.506f97cf5eb468ea826977c1a76c9d6c.jpeg

Thanks, after nearly 30yrs  of delving around WW1 I can't recall seeing one before thus proving there is always more to learn.

• 4 weeks later...

The Corporal seated slightly right of centre as you look has a single 'proficiency star' (note the 4-points) on his cuff.  That was not the usual place to wear it, as it was intended for sergeants and generally worn above their three stripes to prove that they were fully qualified in a set of core skills.  It is occasionally seen misused (or re-purposed in modern speak) as an alternative to the correct judging distance badge (also a type of star), presumably when the latter was not available.  It is difficult to be sure what its purpose is in this case.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 2 months later...

A "better late than never" thank you, Frogsmile .... appreciated.

Only 3 men appear to wear a lanyard. Privately bought as an "appearance improver" or did only 3 men have something (a whistle?) to hang on one?:unsure:

Coincidently their was an RGA Drill Hall in Windmill Street, Gravesend. 

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

A couple of the men in the front row appear to be wearing Economy Service Dress (ESD) without the pleats on the breast pockets so it would suggest a 1915 to 1916 date.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Stebie9173, for the dating - I appreciate the observation.  Much appreciated.  Heather