Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of cap badges

CreagDhu

Hi

No information as to the names of the men in this photograph. A friend believes the soldier at the back is wearing the badge of The Hampshire Regiment (later The Royal Hampshire Regiment). Anyone recognise the other cap badges?

GHF Album 1 no.35.jpg

On a quick look, Northumberland Fusiliers, Hampshire Regiment (100%) and Royal Scots

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

I'd say 1st chap is NF, looks like the distinctive shoulder title.

Chris

s-l300.jpg

I would concur that the fellow in the Tam O'Shanter is Royal Scots. 

All three men are wearing hospital blue, winter order, and the Royal Scot wears a typical favour or posey on his jacket lapel. I wonder if they survived.

The Hampshire chap has something on his lapel, too - black cat?

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The Hampshire chap has something on his lapel, too - black cat?

Yes, I think so Steven, the cat’s head with bright eyes seems apparent.  All three men are wearing the alternate pattern of hospital blue, cut more like a 3-piece suit (the waistcoats visible) and without the more usual white lining showing).  I have assumed it was an initiative from later in the war, but do not know for sure. It would be interesting to find the administrative details among lists of changes, etc.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all again for the valuable information. I wondered why three soldiers from different regiments would be photographed together. I know from a postcard I found recently, that my Grandfather was in East Leeds Military Hospital in November 1918. It’s possible he met the men in the photograph there.

A good picture, and you never know he might have met them. 

Where did you get the photo, from your Grandfather's artifacts?

Chris

26 minutes ago, CreagDhu said:

Thank you all again for the valuable information. I wondered why three soldiers from different regiments would be photographed together. I know from a postcard I found recently, that my Grandfather was in East Leeds Military Hospital in November 1918. It’s possible he met the men in the photograph there.

Although circumstantial, the fact that your grandfather mentioned the East Leeds Hospital makes it seem quite likely that the men shown are pals that he made there.

Yes, I am enjoying scanning all his photographs and learning more about him and the family as well as learning about WW1 and his part in it (all new to me) – so no doubt will have more questions to ask as I go through them! I now know that two of his brothers were killed at the Battle of Loos.

6 minutes ago, CreagDhu said:

Yes, I am enjoying scanning all his photographs and learning more about him and the family as well as learning about WW1 and his part in it (all new to me) – so no doubt will have more questions to ask as I go through them! I now know that two of his brothers were killed at the Battle of Loos.

Loos was a dreadful battle (among many dreadful battles) where just about everything that could go wrong did so.  I recall especially that it was one of the first battles where mobilised Territorials were deployed in the attack and where the strength of the remaining regular veterans of 1914 was much diminished.  As such, it marked a watershed.

Edited by FROGSMILE