Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pow card (Parchim)

steverich

Hi

I dont  know if anyone can help. My grandfather was in the Royal Engineers and taken prisoner in The German Spring Offensive. His Red Cross prisoner of war record states he was at Parchim but I have read that this was quite often used as a registration camp rather than the actual place they were kept. I have what I think is his pow card as attached which gives a camp number of 469 but can’t find any mention of German camp numbers anywhere. Does anyone know if this refers to Parchim or not.

He stayed with a family in Liege on his way back which suggests he made his way back from Germany rather than the western front but I would like to know if he was at Parchim.

thanks

Steve RichardsonBFA31603-5664-47E3-B77C-D293FBFD5AE2.jpeg.3d0ea440e897bf937bc97a5b1982f6e5.jpegBFA31603-5664-47E3-B77C-D293FBFD5AE2.jpeg.3d0ea440e897bf937bc97a5b1982f6e5.jpeg71EA7868-C82D-4CD9-9082-78833F7013D7.jpeg.09b5ad94ace61d75fca4bcacf072ffa3.jpeg

94256376-FCB7-4A05-8B25-D91182219750.jpeg

Thanks Billy, I was wondering whether the pow card camp 469 confirms it as Parchim or whether this may refer to one of the camps behind the German front lines.

469 is his Engineering Company (Komp.)

I wonder whether the term    c.  'previous camp Western Front' implies that he was held elsewhere than Parchim ?

5a70dbc32d22f_LeesFPoW.JPG.88d3c3ec10133b1e6e56e67919ef4f77.JPG

Edited by charlie962

There have been quite a few topics on here about Parchim previously.

I think it held thousands of POW's, but as you alluded to in the first post, I think it was also used for men who were being used and held in work camps nearby.

BillyH.

Thanks Charlie that clears 469. I was thinking it was a camp number. And might give a clue. Thanks billy I will see if I can find any past similarities on threads on Parchim 

There is nothing on his PoW card to indicate where it was issued to him but he arrived there on the 23.03.1918 (still in France?). On the 25.06.1918 he was „commandeered“ and was sent somewhere (I can’t make out where) else while still remaining on the strength of the camp that issued the card. The Parchim list is dated 18.06.1918.

Charlie

He was part of the 3rd POW Company at the POW Camp Parchim.

A German radiostation did a feature on the camp in 2014. If you can read German here is a short summary.

https://www.ndr.de/kultur/geschichte/schauplaetze/Die-verborgene-Stadt,kriegsgefangenenlager102.html

If not an even shorter summary of the summary:

It started as a small camp west of Parchim for 400 POWs on the grounds of a former military training ground. In March 1915 the count rose to 8000, in the end there were 15.000 French, Belgian, British and Russian soldiers as well as Belgian civil  internees. Parchim at that time had only 9000 inhabitants. The camp was closed in September 1920 and later housed 10000 Red Army soldiers. 1400 Soldiers died in the camp during the war. The area now is part of Parchim airport.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

10 minutes ago, GreyC said:

He was part of the 3rd POW Company at the POW Camp Parchim.

GreyC

Hi GreyC

I can see he was in No3 PoW Company but as far as I can see there is no reference on the PoW card to Parchim. Have I missed something?

Charlie

You are quite right, it could also refer to the place he was commanded to, I doubt it though. The card seems to have been filled out during his time at Parchim. Please not the additional info on Camp Parchim in my post above.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Hi Steve,

At the start of the massive German Spring Offensive on 21st March 1918, 469 FC RE (part of 59 Division - which took a hammering) were a short distance back, in the "reserve", and weren't deployed in the "front line" units of the division. It seems that a couple of days later Frederick was taken PoW in the rapid German advance. Unfortunately the FC war diary (National Archives here) and Commander Royal Engineers, 59 Division (here) don't appear to hint towards the likely circumstances of his capture.

(Very) general info on Parchim...

image.png.739e01760dc8dd9a6e71510fab0a3b99.png

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the information. It is all extremely helpful.  Parchim is in the Red Cross records but not on the pow card which makes me wonder whether he was just registered there, however, with returning through liege it probably indicates he was in Eastern Germany at the end of the war.