Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Worcestershire Regiment

Franklin1994

I have recently been researching my Great Grandfather, Pte. Frederick William Blake (15155). I been told he served in the 9th Worcestershire, and therefore would have served in the conflicts in Mesopotamia. He was discharged with a Silver War Badge on the 30/01/1917, along with many others from Worcestershire. I was just wondering if someone would be able to tell me more about the battles he would have been involved in, and possibly where he may have been injured. Any information you can share would be much appreciated. 

Ben.

Hi Ben,

There is a potted history of the Battalion here, and 13 Division here. The battalion war diary for their time in Gallipoli is on Ancestry here, and their time in Mesopotamia here at the National Archives. It would appear that a couple of newspapers (see here) published a casualty list in early June 1916 in which he appeared. If you look at the list, you may find men that have surviving service papers, from which (within a couple of days, or so) you might find a common date of injury, and make an inference. If you can, you should be able to cross reference to the war diary.

Regards

Chris