Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Duke of Cornwall

notgottaname

Hello, I am trying to find out when and where  my wife's Grand Father signed up to the Duke of Cornwall 1st Battalion.  His name was William Henry Ross Roberts  born in Englefield Green Surrey but I am led to believe he was working in Cornwall when he signed on hence the regiment. Hi number was 18543 and was wounded 15th June 1915 with gunshot wounds. Are signing up records available on line as I cannot find them. Fingers crossed you guys can help.

3 minutes ago, notgottaname said:

Hello, I am trying to find out when and where  my wife's Grand Father signed up to the Duke of Cornwall 1st Battalion.  His name was William Henry Ross Roberts  born in Englefield Green Surrey but I am led to believe he was working in Cornwall when he signed on hence the regiment. Hi number was 18543 and was wounded 15th June 1915 with gunshot wounds. Are signing up records available on line as I cannot find them. Fingers crossed you guys can help.

Looking at other men's records shows that,

#18541 was allocated 20 Feb 15.
#18547 was allocated 22 Feb 15.

#18543 Roberts doesn't have a surviving service record.

Craig

4 minutes ago, notgottaname said:

Hello, what records are you looking at please? 

Looking at surrounding, surviving, service records. I usually use Find My Past as they index the records better than Ancestry.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

not..........

notalottofind in the records for this man. Did see from the Medal Index Card that he first landed in France on 8 Jun 1915, so a week later wounded.

At some time, probably after recovery from wounds, returned to the fray, transferring to be 16191 Dorsetshire Regiment, from where he was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve on 27 Aug 1919. Can't easily find his second medal roll (British War and Victory) which will likely state the Dorsets Battalion served.

Edited by sotonmate

17 minutes ago, sotonmate said:

not..........

notalottofind in the records for this man. Did see from the Medal Index Card that he first landed in France on 8 Jun 1915, so a week later wounded.

At some time, probably after recovery from wounds, returned to the fray, transferring to be 16191 Dorsetshire Regiment, from where he was discharged to Class Z Army Reserve on 27 Aug 1919. Can't easily find his second medal roll (British War and Victory) which will likely state the Dorsets Battalion served.

2nd Dorsets

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252