Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German IR 169 Bayonet Markings

German IR 169

Greetings.    I recently received an inquiry on the markings of bayonet affiliated with German Infantry Regiment 169.   (marked as 169.R8.212)     It seems likely that the 169.R8 portion indicates Infantry Regiment 169, Badische Number 8 (with the '8' being for its Baden numeration.  This leaves the .212 portion a mystery.   I welcome any thoughts.  

Many Thanks,

John Rieth

IR 169 Bayonet .jpeg

This is an S.98 yes? Unusual is having a flashguard! What maker and what year?

The "8" will be surely for the 8.Kompagnie, and so 2nd Battalion of the regiment. In other words, it stands for "Nr.169 Inf-Reg [Badisches Nr.8], 8 Kompagnie, Waffe 212".

Thanks very much for the quick response.   I address the owner with your question, he replied.

Here's the reply from the owner (who very much appreciated your background on the inscription):

This is a 1905 dated Gewehr. 1898 Bayonet. Manufacturer: C.G.Haenel, Suhl. 

14 hours ago, German IR 169 said:

Thanks very much for the quick response.   I address the owner with your question, he replied.

Glad to help! Highly unusual in having a flasguard fitted - these were introduced in the summer of 1915, by when most Seitengewehr 98 like this had already been replaced in service by either a S.98/05 or an 'Ersatz' bayonet.