Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner John Wilfrid Travis

ilkley remembers

The above named was killed in action 12th January 1918 aged 21 years whilst serving with 174 Brig. RFA. (B. Holbeck, Leeds, resided Ilkley)

I am trying to identify which RFA Brig he served with prior to the 174th

He appears to have enlisted in Otley (West Yorks) into a Territorial Unit of RFA. He has 4 and 6 figure service numbers (6483 and 781351) so I am assuming that he enlisted prior to the renumbering of RFA units which occurred in May 1916. The 6 figure number would, as far as I can see, put him in either 246 Brigade or 311 Brigade RFA. A nominal role held in Ilkley Town Hall of men from the town who served states that he enlisted in 3/4th West Riding Brigade (T) RFA, which I am assuming is a 3rd line unit used for reinforcements for the 1st and 2nd line Brigades.

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on which unit if any of 246 or 311 he served with and why he ended up in the 174th a New Army Brigade which I think was raised in London

I have his numbers in a block of postings to 246th Brigade RFA in September or October 1916 (most were to C/246 on October 18, 1916). The Otley battery was 10th West Riding (Howitzer) Battery which, in the 1st Line, became A (H)/248 then D (H)/246 on May 21, 1916. The Ilkley battery was 11th West Riding (Howitzer) Battery which, in the 1st Line, became B (H)/248 then D (H)/245 on May 21, 1916. You are quite right with your assumption that he was a 3rd Line reinforcement and from late 1915 had been based at No. 1 (TF) Artillery Training School at South Camp, Ripon until his posting overseas. There is no obvious link to 174th Brigade RFA, so I would guess he was ill or wounded for a period that got him sent back to Base Depot or Home at some point then onward to 174th Brigade after that. 

EDIT: Actually, looking at men near his number, it looks like he was sent over to France as early as February 22, 1916. See Harry Metcalfe 781344 and Arthur Brown 781349 who were both posted from 3/4th to 1/4th then but remained on the break up of the howitzer batteries. The new B/248 became C/246 on October 18, 1916 which fits nicely with what I said earlier.

Edited by David Porter

7 minutes ago, David Porter said:

I have his numbers in a block of postings to 246th Brigade RFA in September or October 1916 (most were to C/246 on October 18, 1916). The Otley battery was 10th West Riding (Howitzer) Battery which, in the 1st Line, became A (H)/248 then D (H)/246 on May 21, 1916. The Ilkley battery was 11th West Riding (Howitzer) Battery which, in the 1st Line, became B (H)/248 then D (H)/245 on May 21, 1916. You are quite right with your assumption that he was a 3rd Line reinforcement and from late 1915 had been based at No. 1 (TF) Artillery Training School at South Camp, Ripon until his posting overseas. There is no obvious link to 174th Brigade RFA, so I would guess he was ill or wounded for a period that got him sent back to Base Depot or Home at some point then onward to 174th Brigade after that.  

Thank you, David, for that information which I will now add to his story. I did wonder why a Territorial would be assigned to a New Army unit and the return from illness/wounds explanation did occur to me. A check of the two local newspapers, who often reported on wounded local men, didn't reveal anything, but perhaps his family didn't want it reporting or I have simply missed any report. 

Anyway thanks again for your splendid response.

Edward

Edward,

I was adding a little more when you responded - please see above.

Thanks David, that is very useful as it gives an  indication of when he enlisted which he may have done with his older brother George. 

I had checked the nominal role of 245 D Battery (Ilkley) but there was no mention of him.

Thanks again,

Edward