Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment ID help needed please

Margosh

This photo shows my Gt Uncle in the centre. It is the only clue we have to his war service. Can anyone help ID the regiment please so I have a starting point!

I have tried close-ups of the cap badges but they are not very clear.

The postmark on the back is dated 1916. He was from the Selby area so I am guessing a regiment with Yorkshire connections, possibly?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Margaret

U Frank PC crop.jpg

U Frank PC badge1.jpg

U Frank PC badge2.jpg

U Frank PC cap1.jpg

U Frank PC cap2.jpg

• Admin

I would say Army Service Corps. 

Michelle 

11 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I would say Army Service Corps. 

Michelle 

Thanks.

I just had a quick gander on search sites but nothing obvious upfront and with a surname of Smith there will be a lot of searching to do.  Not that I expected it to be easy!

Breeches on all but the right hand man suggest something to do with horses. Wonder what the significance of the number on the chalk board is?

Personal info on your great uncle may help to locate the relevant records if any exist.

Wearing spurs and breeches so perhaps a Driver (of horses). A.S.C. were delivering goods in the divisional horse trains. My other half's Gt Uncle was killed with one of his drivers in Arras going to the railhead to collect supplies, both in the ASC.

28 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Breeches on all but the right hand man suggest something to do with horses. Wonder what the significance of the number on the chalk board is?

Personal info on your great uncle may help to locate the relevant records if any exist.

I wondered about that. As a Farmer's son a horse connection would make sense (although in all my researching I don't often come across sense, more surprises!).

Frank Smith, born Carlton near Selby around 1898.

He married into our family in 1919, I have researched most of my direct family during the Great War and thought it was about time I set-to on Uncle Frank (spurred on by a recent family funeral where memories were exchanged. So far we have 2 copies of this photo but no other clues turned up yet).

2 minutes ago, StonehengeMaid said:

Wearing spurs and breeches so perhaps a Driver (of horses). A.S.C. were delivering goods in the divisional horse trains. My other half's Gt Uncle was killed with one of his drivers in Arras going to the railhead to collect supplies, both in the ASC.

Is that the ASC badge in your profile picture? It does look similar.

No my profile badge is the Devonshire Regiment the regiment of my late father. 

There is a booklet of information regarding  the great uncle on the web though.  If you look at this link you will find a document relating to the war service and death of Frederick Guest.  It may help you get a picture of the working life and times.  It is written by my son who is a military historian.

https://spitfiresofthesea.com/research-blog/

58 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Wonder what the significance of the number on the chalk board is?

I believe it’s the photographer number to identify the people in the photo 

5 hours ago, StonehengeMaid said:

No my profile badge is the Devonshire Regiment the regiment of my late father. 

There is a booklet of information regarding  the great uncle on the web though.  If you look at this link you will find a document relating to the war service and death of Frederick Guest.  It may help you get a picture of the working life and times.  It is written by my son who is a military historian.

https://spitfiresofthesea.com/research-blog/

That looks really interesting, I will read it through in full. I am doing something similar ( but not as professional) for My Family in The Great War with maps, extracts from War Diaries etc. 11of them so far, Uncle Frank will make 12 if I can find more information. 

5 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

I believe it’s the photographer number to identify the people in the photo 

I think so. I have a number of postcard photos with similar numbers shown at the bottom. 

• 1 month later...

As StonehengeMaid identified, the cap badges in your photo are definitely ASC.  I too have a WW1 family connection with that Corps (and the Wilts Regt).

Edited by FROGSMILE