Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cultural initiative to remember the Romanian Campaign

Morar Andrei

This year, Romania gets into the aniversary of 100 years since the end of the Great War and the Great Union of December 1st 1918.

Because Romania is many times forgotten in the history pages, I decided to initiate 2 cultural programmes to inform the people:

1) the blog "Aspects of the Romanian Front", where I write different stories about the army and its battles from 1916-1917, or about social aspects, such as "Romanian Soldiers in the Austro-Hungarian Army"

2) by creating a series of videos on YouTube called "Battles of the Romanian Army", where I talk about different battles, more or less known, that took place in the First World War. The first one is already done, being entitles "The Battles for Făgăras County"

*Note: I'm sorry for the lack of activity on the blog on the last month. I was looking for an interesting article, but got nothing, at least yet.

Hej Morar

I knew next to nothing of the war in Romania - now I know a little bit more.

Thanks for highlighting a front which receives little mention elsewhere.

Steen

Here is a little update to the situation (sorry for the lack of English subtitles, I promise to add them tomorrow). One of the last Napoleonic style charges, the battle for Prunaru village (also the subject of one of my older topics valled "Romanian cavalry against German machineguns"). Enjoy!

Wgat do you think about this one? A new video, about the Romanian weapons used during the war, will come at the end of the week. Also, here is another video about a my town during the Great War and before.

Suddenly, I start thinking that the project is nit going very well on the video section. People look not to appreciate my effort. I thank you for you support and the fact you enjoy them. Hope to get more lucky on this section....

A quick update of the situation: my latest video, about the equipment of the Romanian armed forces (subtitles will be added tomorrow, I promise).

If you want a well researched and written account in English of Romania and WW1 look at  Glenn E Torrey The Romanian Battlefront in World War 1.

Charles M

Thank you! It might be a very interesting book. As a Romanian, it would be interesting to read what the English wrote about our contribution to the war effort.

P.S.: I added English subtitles to the video about the infantry weapons.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I just forgot to update the situation... I think that from the next episode (or after I end the Aviation History series) I will start posting only in English, with subtitles in Romanian. Enjoy the beginnings of the Romanian Air Forces!

Important announcement! By today, I will start creating this content only just in English, but maybe tere will also be subtitles in Romanian.

But I will continue using my native language in certain videos, on special ocasions.

The Romanian campaign is certainly underappreciated in the English-speaking world, especially given the significance of Romanian entry into the war as the last straw which finished off Falkenhayn's tenure at OHL and ushered in Hindenburg and Ludendorff.

For interest, here are some materials on the participation of Saxon 212. Infanterie-Division in this theatre of war, which I put together some time ago for Rumanian friends. This division arrived in Romania in late March 1917, and remained there until transported to Ukraine (around Odessa) in May 1918. They were unable to leave until the allied intervention forces evacuated Odessa in 1919.

In August 1917 the division was joined by likewise Saxon Infanterie-Regiment 182, which had been in Romania with the Prussian 216. Inf. Div. since September 1916 and taken part in several major battles.

212ID_MarasestiJuli1917.jpg.71c388467802ec4941912bb4e450220c.jpg

Men of 4. Kompagnie / Infanterie-Regiment 415 in their quarters in April 1917:

IR415_Rumanien1917.jpg.598f4dcb761d0244c0cfaa9907b66eda.jpg

Officers and men from various units of the division celebrate the King of Saxony's birthday at Gradistea on 25th May 1917:

212ID_25Mai1917.jpg.82e8cdeb3dd1bdee62357201b73e1faa.jpg

Encampment of the divisional mortar company, Minenwerfer-Kompagnie 422, at Easter 1917:

MWK422_Rumanien1917.jpg.54f8f7a08d3d4ed8f26c7c6719f9ec98.jpg

The 1. Eskadron of Husaren-Regiment 18 came to Romania as divisional cavalry of 212. Inf. Div., but (I think) remained there when the division went to Ukraine (taking 5. Eskadron of the regiment with it instead). Elements of this Saxon cavalry regiment were still in Romania on policing duties as late as October 1918:

HR18_VizirulRumanienOkt1918.jpg.380969b1e6d4583e77cb3a7eb85be264.jpg

15 hours ago, bierast said:

For interest, here are some materials on the participation of Saxon 212. Infanterie-Division in this theatre of war, which I put together some time ago for Rumanian friends. This division arrived in Romania in late March 1917, and remained there until transported to Ukraine (around Odessa) in May 1918. They were unable to leave until the allied intervention forces evacuated Odessa in 1919.

MWK422_Rumanien1917.jpg.54f8f7a08d3d4ed8f26c7c6719f9ec98.jpg

One learns something everyday! Thanks bierast!

Is this photograph on the Dniester / Dniester estuary? The bridge looks vaguely familiar to em from my time at Akkerman / Belgorod. Were the Saxons ever in occupation of that place - not too far south west of Odessa.

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Is this photograph on the Dniester / Dniester estuary? The bridge looks vaguely familiar to em from my time at Akkerman / Belgorod. Were the Saxons ever in occupation of that place - not too far south west of Odessa.

This photo is from 1917 ('during the Easter holidays'), when the division was still in Romania. Here's the back - the river is seemingly identified, but I can't get a definite match with the maps (above).

MWK422_Rumanien1917_bk.jpg.09fb6e27766e8bdb014bcf73284ff202.jpg

Very interesting images. Thank you for sharing! If interested, and have some others too: Caroltraining.jpg.a393d1b187f44633a1b41e932f227a38.jpg

Future king Carol II training with a Chauchat machinegun, 1917large_000000.jpg.9a17b3017fe3209923e2f275c2676cb4.jpg

Troop inspection in Kronstadt (Brasov)5aa16d5f01789_Batterien-13.-und-14.-Sudfront-aufgenommen-am-24_12.1916-1024x755.png.0d7ddb43b7fbb34e8564cd1e85e517c8.png

Battery Fort Nr.13, part of Bucharest's defensive system5aa16d74542fc_brasov1916.jpg.84cbd4c23fa7d759c248117c7d422767.jpg

Romanian prisoners in Kronstadt, after the battle for the town, October 1916Legione_Romena_Sibiu_1919.jpg.824178af9b82859b23c33100c00b2316.jpg

Former members of the Romanian Legion in Italy returning home, 1919 (picture done at Sibiu/Hermenstadt)king-ferdinand-oradea-world-war-one-ww1-romanian-men-army.jpg.f60988a7ac4e0806bcfb4a0a8e06ad5c.jpg

King Ferdind I while inspecting units

A very nice thread.  Well done Andrei.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much! It's always pleasant when tou have the ocasion to study and find a bit more about the histiry of your country.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting fact: in Romania, all villages have at least 15-20 soldiers that died in the Great War (total casualties only on the Old Kingdom of Romania was about 830k soldiers + civilians). And the number is even bigger when talking about towns and cities. As an example, in my town there is a monument of the Austro-Hungarian army with over 100 names marked on. Indeed, most of them are Hungarians living on my town, but there are also a lot of Romanian names, soldiers that died on all fronts.

In villages, they are marked on monuments placed in the cemeteries, together with the soldiers fallen in the Second World War.

IMG_20180109_143944.jpg