Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transcribing Horace Brooks ww1 diary - dli and the labour corps

telgreen1

I know my great, great grandfather (Horace Brook) fought in and around Ypres for three years and was gassed twice and wounded before being sent home. I am currently transcribing whats left of his ww1 diary which is pretty harrowing reading. At the back of his diary he has listed a number of comrades and made some annotations against some of the entries. Not sure if these were casualties of the Durham light infantry or people he may have met or been wounded and returned home. Might also indicate more concisely where he served on the front. Grateful for any help to assist.

Also I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if his diary would be of interest to any other forums or museums. The DLI museum closed before I could make a visit so not sure if this would be of interest elsewhere.

DIARY NAMES 1.jpeg

DIARY NAMES 2.jpeg

1 hour ago, telgreen1 said:

I know my great, great grandfather (Horace Brook) fought in and around Ypres for three years and was gassed twice and wounded before being sent home. I am currently transcribing whats left of his ww1 diary which is pretty harrowing reading. At the back of his diary he has listed a number of comrades and made some annotations against some of the entries. Not sure if these were casualties of the Durham light infantry or people he may have met or been wounded and returned home. Might also indicate more concisely where he served on the front. Grateful for any help to assist.

Also I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if his diary would be of interest to any other forums or museums. The DLI museum closed before I could make a visit so not sure if this would be of interest elsewhere.

DIARY NAMES 1.jpeg

DIARY NAMES 2.jpeg

Which DLI battalions ? I have a strong interest in them , particularly the 6th Bn. I have quite a bit of information I have gathered on the DLI but anything else is always nice if it's available to read.

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Which DLI battalions ? I have a strong interest in them , particularly the 6th Bn. I have quite a bit of information I have gathered on the DLI but anything else is always nice if it's available to read.

Craig

Hi Craig

He was in the 10th Battalion. He also served a number of years in India in the DLI prior to joining up again for ww1.

Best Regards

Terry