Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Vanguard 1917 Crew Photos

WyS

Mike,

try a PM - personal message - click on jacks' name above and you will see a tab with an envelope icon. Click that and a message screen should open.

Best wishes,

seaJane

On 12/08/2019 at 16:37, Michael Deadman said:

Hello Jacks

I would really welcome a copy of the newspaper report for George Deadman.  Please let me know how to contact directly. 

Thanks

Mike Deadman 

Edited by seaJane

On 24/03/2019 at 18:19, Tavern Druid said:

Hi

Just come across you post .

There is a picture of John William Woods RMLI number CH/265(S) in a book called

Dartford and the Great War by Gethyn J Rees page 194.

There is no publisher or publication date in the book and the book must now be out of print.

the printers were DWS Print Service Ltd,  but I think they were disloved in 2015 according to Companies House.

Just spotted one on AbeBooks for £48 !!!

The picture probaly came from the local Dartford Newspapers.

But these dont seem to be online although BNA are promising to put them online

best wishes

David

Update David - I managed to obtain an image from the book of John Williams Woods via a follower on Twitter!  Just the sort of lead I was looking for, with a perfect outcome.  He was the 256th image found.

Many thanks, Wendy

Apologies to all the queries over the summer - busy times and my notifications were turned off!

Update - photos found has now stalled at 277, I am just a few away from one third of the crew being discovered.  I do however have MANY (30+) images of sailors of HMS Vanguard but their names are unknown.  

If any one has any questions, please get in contact!

Many thanks, Wendy

On 05/11/2019 at 21:47, WyS said:

Apologies to all the queries over the summer - busy times and my notifications were turned off!

Update - photos found has now stalled at 277, I am just a few away from one third of the crew being discovered.  I do however have MANY (30+) images of sailors of HMS Vanguard but their names are unknown.  

If any one has any questions, please get in contact!

Many thanks, Wendy

Hi Wendy,

How pertinent that I found this forum today !

My Great Grandfather and his brother both were killed on the Vangaurd, John William Warne and William Harry Warne. 

The only pictures I have of them are below, do you happen to have any others ???

Many thanks,

John.

image.png.8a14140bfd807c08f98ac5443c1dfbcc.png

7 minutes ago, John Warne said:

Hi Wendy,

How pertinent that I found this forum today !

My Great Grandfather and his brother both were killed on the Vangaurd, John William Warne and William Harry Warne. 

The only pictures I have of them are below, do you happen to have any others ???

Many thanks,

John.

image.png.8a14140bfd807c08f98ac5443c1dfbcc.png

Hi John, thank you for getting in touch! 

I am afraid I don't have any more of John or William, just the same as you have posted here. 

You would be most welcome to join my Facebook page also, where many of the ships relations gather - possibly browse through some of the unknown images. 

They are always remembered. 

Best wishes, Wendy 

• 6 months later...

Hi Wendy

Just came across an article describing your efforts to find photos of all of those killed in the Vanguard disaster.

Would you be able to send me a photo of my husbands Gt Uncle John Duckmanton please?

5 hours ago, GlennT said:

Hi Wendy

Just came across an article describing your efforts to find photos of all of those killed in the Vanguard disaster.

Would you be able to send me a photo of my husbands Gt Uncle John Duckmanton please?

Hi Glenn and everyone else.  I do indeed have a photo of John Duckmanton.  I have recently created a HMSVANGUARD website where all of the photos found will be catalogued.  You can find his image and history at  https://www.vanguardcrewphotos.org/

I hope you find it informative!!  It is an ongoing project, so bear with me - I have over 200 images to upload!

Best wishes, Wendy

Hi, thanks but I already have Jack's image and info... I have over 250 images to post to the website , which will take some time! And I will be doing a special page on Jack. 

As a relation of the crew, you may be interested to also join my Facebook page where all the images and information are posted first. There are many of us relatives gathered there! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/285557418518769/?ref=share

Thanks, Wendy 

• 5 months later...

As always, keeping up with the research of the crew and history of the ship - even during the Covid lockdown photos have (amazingly) been discovered - total now reaches 292, or almost 35% - there are over 70 images now posted on the website - www.vanguardcrewphotos.org

Thanks, Wendy

• 5 months later...

Wendy

further to the tv programme on the Vanguard, I have been doing research on the names that are in my village war memorial in Milton, Cambridgeshire. My aim is to find thepeoplebehindthe names so as a village we can remember them We have Harry Lanham listed. 
Harry was a seaman since 1911, and lived in cambridge as a child although he moved to Luton in the 1911 census when he married to Blanche Daisley. Blanche had family in Milton and it is thought that she moved back to her family during the war. 
I would really appreciate the photo you have of Harry for the village to see. 
many thanks

karen

image.jpg.b64a1602bdb293e303dcfe8255fef1a9.jpg

Hi Karen, thank you for getting in touch...apologies for the delay in replying, things have been hectic after the programme!  

I have now added Harry's history to my website, so you are welcome to use the information there, all I ask is that the site be credited?

https://www.vanguardcrewphotos.org/post/harry-lanham-ch-180373-leading-seaman

Do you happen to have any close up photographs of his name on any of the memorials, as I would like to add them to the map? 

Harry did join the Navy as a Boy 2nd Class in 1894, he served for almost 22 years, so didn't join in 1911.  He also lived in Chatham with Blanche - the 1911 census mentions Luton as Gordon Road in Chatham was a small road off Luton Road (I hope that helps).

If you need anything more, please let me know, 

Wendy

Wendy so good to hear back from you and your research in Harry Lanham is much appreciated and a great assistance in the memory of this long serving gentleman.

I have attached a photo of the war memorial of his name. 
thanks again.

image.jpeg.1f31dc44cc78ba78f1e29d9672b7f5c7.jpeg 

• 10 months later...
On 25/01/2018 at 12:52, WyS said:

Hi

I am working on a project to find a photograph of all crew members lost aboard HMS Vanguard when she exploded in 1917.

My Great Uncle was one of those killed and one of the photos I have of him shows him in his Marine uniform with another chap.  I have no idea who he is and this inspired me to find out and expand my search to find the face of ALL those killed that tragic evening.

Since beginning this quest in July 2017, after attending the Centenary Commemoration in Orkney, I have found 175 pictures (out of 843).   I have been lucky enough to have some extra help from BBC Radio Orkney who wrote a piece about my project.  Now I just have to make this know as far and wide as possible to make contact with relatives of the crew.  If you know of a photo or can help spread the word in any way (radio, newspaper etc)  I would love to hear from you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-42341653

Many thanks, WyS

Good morning WyS

I know it's a few years since your post. How are you getting on? My Great Uncle was George Deadman, RMLI. Do you have a photo of George? If not we have several if you need them

Mike

1 hour ago, MikeDeadman said:

Good morning WyS

I know it's a few years since your post. How are you getting on? My Great Uncle was George Deadman, RMLI. Do you have a photo of George? If not we have several if you need them

Mike

Morning Mike, yes it's been nearly 5 years since I started this project! It's doing very well with over 300 images found and catalogued, I'm just slowly adding them to the website now in-between trying to find new ones.

I have got several images of George, he is on the website now https://www.vanguardcrewphotos.org/post/george-deadman-private-ch-rmli-16154-formerly-rmli-15098

But if you have any further info, I would happily add it as it is all about remembering their lives.

Thanks for getting in touch, Wendy 

8 minutes ago, WyS said:

Morning Mike, yes it's been nearly 5 years since I started this project! It's doing very well with over 300 images found and catalogued, I'm just slowly adding them to the website now in-between trying to find new ones.

I have got several images of George, he is on the website now https://www.vanguardcrewphotos.org/post/george-deadman-private-ch-rmli-16154-formerly-rmli-15098

But if you have any further info, I would happily add it as it is all about remembering their lives.

Thanks for getting in touch, Wendy 

Yes, since posting the above, I found your website. Looks great. I added the comment that George was following his grandfather into RMLI. Bryan Judge from Mayo, Ireland possibly took the queen's shilling to escape the famine, and like George, serving out of Chatham. He was on HMS BelleIsle during the Crimean War 

• 11 months later...

Hi 

Am researching Alfred Thomas SONES J.19100 A.B. R.N. killed at sea on H.M.S. "Vanguard" 9 July 1917 Scapa Flow.       Is there a photograph of him anywhere?   

Thanks  Wayne

A casualty

Hall.JPG.19f9b9517c6eef553d457d4453598c3a.JPG

Boy  John Joseph Hall  J/42117  aged 17

(Dunston on Tyne)

Ray

• 6 months later...

Hi, my great uncle was Petty Officer Frederick Barlow who I believe was on HMS Vanguard when it exploded in 1917. Do you have any photographs of him as I have not been able to find any so far in my search.

Many thanks for your work.

Ron.