Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tour help Eilat to Petra/Aqaba

Sjack91

Good morning,

I am travelling over to Israel in October and was planning on doing a day tour from Eilat to Petra. I have been looking around at various tour companys but was hoping to visit Aqaba which they do not seem to guarantee. I arrive into Tel Aviv on the Tuesday evening and the plan was to drive south to Eilat and spend the night there. This would then mean we had a full day to have a conducted tour to Petra. At night return to Eilat and spend the evening there. The reason for the one day tour is we have to be in Tel Aviv on the Thursday evening. Could anyone give me any tips on how to go about this trip or recommend a tour company? Our last option would be to drive on our own from Eilat to petra (with hired car)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Stuart

Stuart,

A one day tour to Petra staring from Eilat will not be enough time to see everything at Petra, never mind Aqaba; the drive is quite long. I have done such a one day tour from Eilat and it is just enough to see the main sites at Petra. I used Desert Eco Tours (in Eilat) who provided a car from the hotel to the border, assistance with the border crossing, then car plus a driver and a guide for the Jordanian side: an excellent, safe driver, and a knowledgeable guide with v. good English.

Well worth the visit, but if you can find an extra day all the better

Good Luck

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Thank you for the advice Michael

I have been looking around to see what is best. I see the tour you have mentioned and that is the standard of company I would go with. They leave a little earlier than the others which I think would mean you are at the front of the ques so to speak. Unfortunately we only have the one day. It is something I have always wanted to do but would always have loved to do it right as you say. 2/3 days. But if I don't go the 1 day trip I feel I will never get there as this could be my last trip to Israel for a while.

Stuart

Never visited from the Israeli side but have visited a few times whilst in Amman and can only echo Michael in one day really is not enough. Enjoy your visit Stuart.

Andy

We went to Petra in 2003 just after the Iraq war started: we had the place to ourselves! We also had a night under the stars with a Bedouin family in Wadi Rum. Your short trip will leave you with only one conclusion -- you must come back and do it properly.

Enjoy

Cheers Martin B

Thanks for the responses

I am going to go as I have no option of another day. I would rather go and say "I enjoyed it I would love to go back for longer" than not go, waiting to do it in the right way but possibly never doing so!

Hope that makes sense

Stuart

In a previous job I was doing an Aqaba-Petra-Aqaba day run at least twice a year between January-February for ten years... Don't ask - but something to do with guiding American tour groups while paying back Ph.D expenses!

We would arrive by ship the evening before - if in the afternoon with time to see the castle - and set off around 07:30 the next day to have a "full day" at Petra, which for most people meant just doing the walk through the Siq, the theatre and central area (but not the then unexcavated temples), Quasr Bint, lunch, a wander around, etc - but only the really energetic could fit in as extras EITHER the High Place or El (Ad) Deir: both were possible if you missed lunch! Then leave around 15:00 for the journey back to Aqaba (I once had to do a 20 minute run up back up to the High Place to find a missing "guest"!). I can't find my notes otherwise I could give you timings - but from the late 1980's-early 1990's, and so possibly the roads have improved since then? 

Long and short of it, take into account you have to cross the border both ways (and Israeli customs and border control have never been friendly to yours truly with lots of Arabic stamps in his passport!), well, an hour in Aqaba (if the castle is open - look for the Roman milestones there, featured in my book on Trajan!), and then a long drive to Petra and really only enough time to see the central bits. IF you can make two days of it, stay overnight in Petra - the lighting is superb late in the evening and early in the morning, but rather flat in the daytime. And you will see more!

Oh, and yes - Wadi Rumm - great Nabataean temple there plus some other stuff of more direct WW1 interest!

Julian

PS: Most unforgetable trip there? Sometime around 1989/1991, when the roads to Wadi Musa and Petra from Aqaba were blocked by snow and ice and so we didn't get there!

Edited by trajan

Thank you Julian

It sounds like you have many memory's from your time there! Do you know of any tours that leave Eilat earlier in the morning? Some leave the hotel at 7 to be at the border, others 8. I was wondering if any left before 7 and we could beat the rush? Other option would be to drive to the border and leave the car but not sure how that would work?

Stuart

11 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

...It sounds like you have many memory's from your time there! Do you know of any tours that leave Eilat earlier in the morning? ...

Memories, yes - the site is fantastic, the journey there also of interest, and Wadi Rumm a truly impressive landscape. But I simply have no idea about access from Eilat then or these days. I do recall there was a time when Jordan would only allow people in from Eilat to Petra if they had arranged an overnight stay at a hotel in Aqaba/Wadi Musa - something to do with Jordan not receiving any income from day-trips except the entrance fees: but that may have ended now. 

3 minutes ago, trajan said:

but that may have ended now. 

As far as I know, yes it has ended that requirement

But your tour agent in Eilat will confirm that for you before you book

Thank you 

Contacted Desert Echo tours. Great reviews online and if Michael is recommending them that's good enough for me.  Looks like we could possibly do the 1 1/2 day tour!

6 hours ago, diver99 said:

Hello Sjack91. Other than the evocative name of Aqaba, there isn't anything worth seeing there.

Well, the castle is still there isn't it? That was the centre of Ottoman resistance against TEL and his raiders... And it used to contain - and perhaps still does - a nice little museum. Not been there since early 1995, but doubt that the castle would have gone. Oh, and there were plans to display the late Roman and early medieval defences in the modern 'city centre', but I don't know if they went through. 

Edited by trajan