Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

290 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Welsh Cavalryman

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has any information on 290 Brigade RFA for the period April - September 1918.  I understand they were assigned to 58th (2/1st London) Division as Div Arty.  I'm also keen to find out what Guns C Battery serviced.

I understand 58th Division were involved in the following actions in the period in question and I'm assuming 290 Bde RFA provided indirect/direct fire support?

o   The Battle of Villers-Bretonneux (24-25 April)

o   The Battle of Amiens (8-11 August) 

o   The Battle of Albert (22-23 August) (a phase of the 2nd Battle of the Somme)

o   The Second Battle of Bapaume (31 August – 1 September) (a phase of the 2nd Battle of the Somme)

o   The Battle of Epehy (18 September) (a phase of the Battle of the Hindenburg Line)

many thanks for any help

Hello Welsh Cavalryman

I think that it is a justifiable assumption that 290 Brigade RFA was supporting 58th Division for the battles you mention, but to make certain, you can download the War Diary from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50, or free from Ancestry if you have a subscription. It is in this file:

WO 95/2995 290 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1917 Jan. - 1919 May  

You may have to add a suffix such as /2 as there are several diaries in the same file.

During 1918 C Battery (and also A and B ) were equipped with six 18-pounder guns.

Ron

many thanks Ron, much appreciated