Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How can I find a Soldiers Date of enlistment

ZBZ5

I've been typing up the manuscript version of my grandfather's regiment (10th Battn, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) for 1918.  I downloaded the original from the National Archives.  I know he was awarded a MM between 29 Sep - 2 Oct 1918 during action at Joncourt and Chataignies Wood, east of the Hindenburgh Line (their spelling).  However I'm unable to find when he was shipped to France or when he enlisted.  Is there somewhere that will allow me to find the date or approximate date he enlisted, or travelled to France?  His regimental number was: S/22644, his rank L/Cpl and name Henry Horne Duncan.  His award is documented on page 95 of the National Archives copy.

Any help gratefully received.

Graham Duncan

LCpl Henry Horne Duncan 10th Battalion ASH 1919.jpg

• Admin

He appears to be in a cohort of eighteen year olds who were called up for service in the first half of February 1917.  They were posted and numbered to the 79th Training Reserve (these numbers will be lost if there is no service record) and were posted to the 3rd (Reserve) Bn. of the Argylls at the end of October, which accords with Paul's data above  and the final entry.  Until April 1918 the age for active overseas service was nineteen, though there was some slight flexibility it was generally adhered to.  After the German Spring Offensive it was reduced to eighteen and a half provided the soldier had six months training in the UK.

Most men in this cohort whose records survive joined the BEF at various dates from their posting to the 3rd Bn through to January 1918.  They would have gone to the IBD, most likely Etaples, and from there were posted to an active duty Battalion.  I can't find a large draft to the 10th Bn. at this time in the records, as you have the diary and presumably his date of birth then you should be looking a couple of weeks or so after his birthday.  I don't know his age so if older he may have gone to France sooner.

Ken 

Edited by kenf48

Very many thanks, Ken.  Much appreciated.  He was born in Leith, Edinburgh, in 1898, so would have been 18 in 1916, which ties in with the call up for service in Feb 1917.  Thanks a lot for the facts you have given.

Regards,

Graham

• Admin

There is a note in the diary on 26 November 1917 about 'Recently joined drafts inspected by G.O.C. 26th Brigade.'  Speculative, but fits with the general time frame

Ken

Hi Ken,

The Colonel inspected a new draft on 2nd Feb, 10th Battn. moved from 9th Div to 32nd Div on 17th Feb 1918, 89 ORs Draft arrived on 21st Feb and a further 88 ORs arrived on 18 May.  The 26 Nov 1917 might well be in the frame too, as he would have been 20 or almost 20 by May 1918.

Thanks once again, Ken.

Graham