Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Conqueror

alantwo

GrenPen and Horatio2 many thanks.

I hadn't really anticipated finding my rating listed in the logs, but knowing where the ship was helps a little. Had Conqueror been in the Med or on the other side of the planet then it would have ruled him out, but given that the ship was in the UK and if I read the Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions you kindly posted the link to correctly, he could have had long leave.

SECTION II. SHIP'S COMPANY

872. Long Leave Seven days' leave for each completed period of six months' service

He had about 3 years service by this time and thus there is a 'possibility' (albeit only a possibility) that he could have made it home and back within seven days during this time. Thanks again.

Regards

Alan

The following men left HMS Conqueror in February 1918, and joined "D" Company of the Seamen Storming Party, being aboard HMS Iris II during the Zeebrugge Raid. Those that died on the raid have their names commemorated on a brass plaque, which is now in the care of the IWM, which was affixed to the Iris postwar.

SvcNumber    Rank    Last Name
J30116    Able Seaman    Kelland
J32709    Able Seaman    Bassnett
J23937    Able Seaman    O'Hara
J32386    Able Seaman    Beare
J28138    Able Seaman    Helliar
J26466    Able Seaman    Stone
J33465    Able Seaman    Sutherland

In terms of the crew of HMS Conqueror at the Battle of Jutland, forum user Penfold  is researching this, and more info can be seen by following the link below:

https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/conqueror

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 17:58, GrenPen said:

The following men left HMS Conqueror in February 1918, and joined "D" Company of the Seamen Storming Party, being aboard HMS Iris II during the Zeebrugge Raid. Those that died on the raid have their names commemorated on a brass plaque, which is now in the care of the IWM, which was affixed to the Iris postwar.

SvcNumber    Rank    Last Name
J30116    Able Seaman    Kelland
J32709    Able Seaman    Bassnett
J23937    Able Seaman    O'Hara
J32386    Able Seaman    Beare
J28138    Able Seaman    Helliar
J26466    Able Seaman    Stone
J33465    Able Seaman    Sutherland

In terms of the crew of HMS Conqueror at the Battle of Jutland, forum user Penfold  is researching this, and more info can be seen by following the link below:

https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/conqueror

GrenPen

Many thanks for your post, I've been elsewhere hence my late reply. Quite a thing following the link to the Jutland Crew List and finding my rating on the ship, albeit one that has yet to be checked. Very helpful, thanks again.

Regards

Alan