Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Guards De Wippe Cabaret Corner

Watkin55

My Grandfather's Brother Pte Henry 'Harry' Llewellyn Ward served in the 1 st Btn Welsh Guards, Regimental Number 2684, killed on the 14th July 1917.

I know from Welsh Guards War Diaries that he was killed at De Wippe Carbaret Corner on the 14th July 1917 as only one guardsman was recorded killed on this day and 5 wounded during shelling at 07.00hrs., he was in 4 Company.

Would be interesting to know if he had been wounded before this and which actions he had been in.

Thank you to anyone who offer information.

Edited by Watkin55

Name: Henry Ward
Birth Place: Swansea, Glam.
Death Date: 14 Jul 1917
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Swansea, Glam.
Regiment: Welsh Guards
Battalion: 1st Battalion
Regimental Number:

it would be worth looking through local papers 

i believe the Welsh Guards history for ww1 lists those wounded - no idea if lists previous wounds etc if subsequently  killed. Im sure someone with an interest in the (wrong :lol:) guards regiments will have  copy

You probably have this already, but if not, the History of the Welsh Guards by CH Dudley Ward DSO MC is available to read online Here

It doesn't mention anything about the 14th July 1917, other than the Battalion was engaged in nightly working parties, carrying equipment and supplies up to the front in preparation for the forthcoming attack and that casualties from enemy bombardment and gas were heavy. On the 15th, the Battalion took over the line at the Boesinghe Chateau.

Harry isn't mentioned in the book, other than on the Nominal Roll at Appendix I, but it should  give you an idea of what the Battalion was involved in prior to his death.

Thank you for this.

I am looking at 3 relatives from my line and 1 from my wife's. All in different regiments and in both Europe and Dardenells.

It is a little sad that there closest relations such as my Dad did not have the access or the opportunity to read what is now available.

You guys are helping so many understand, we will forever be in your debt.