Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Champion, Sheffield Pal

Chris_Baker

Would anyone with knowledge of the Sheffield City battalion please comment on this?

I'm researching Harry Champion, a Sheffield lad who went overseas with the RFA in 1915. His family is firmly of the opinion that he joined the City Battalion very early on: if true, he must have transferred pretty quickly. His papers can not be found. Can anyone confirm that Champion joined the City Battalion?

Chris

The medal roll should be able to tell you if he transferred. During my research into the Special Brigade I found dozens of men who initially joined New Army battalions and then transferred to the RE. In many cases the man's previous battalion number was shown.

Terry Reeves

No mention of anyone with the surname Champion in the 'Biographical List' published in Gibson and Oldfield's 'Sheffield City Battalion'.

Andrew

Chris

Another option then is that his relatives information is faulty. Is it possible that they have got confused with the RFA Brigades raised under the same system as the Sheffield City Battalion?

The original RFA Brigades raised by Lord Derby at Lytham and St Annes- on- Sea to support 31 Div were 155 (West Yorkshire) 161 (West Yorkshire) and 164 (Rotherham) and 168(Huddersfield). As you will know, they stayed behind in the UK and sent to join 32 Div in 1915.

If nobody comes up with the definitive answer, let me have his regimental number and I'll see what I can do.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

Harry's RFA number was 32554. He moved to France with 168 Brigade RFA on 27 December 1915, and died in Puchevillers on 27 June 1916.

Soldiers Died gives the note that he was formerly Private 328 with the Sheffield City Bn. This is the only refernce I can find that indicates this infantry connection.

Any ideas gratefully received.