Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patches for Display Tunic

1999ekim

I am setting up a WWI display. I have an original helmet, web gear, canteen and entrenching tool. I do need ammo pouches, but they seem very expensive. Have a repro tunic that I would like to put patches on. Would like to make them up and need to know what material were the originals made from? I would like to make the red triangle for the 29th division, also a battle patch for the the tunic back. Also what sizes were they. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, 1999ekim said:

I am setting up a WWI display. I have an original helmet, web gear, canteen and entrenching tool. I do need ammo pouches, but they seem very expensive. Have a repro tunic that I would like to put patches on. Would like to make them up and need to know what material were the originals made from? I would like to make the red triangle for the 29th division, also a battle patch for the the tunic back. Also what sizes were they. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

The patches were made from 100% wool felt Kim.  It used to be freely available for making things and is now less common, but most reputable haberdashers, or dress makers shops still sell some. You need Red felt for the 29th Division. I’m sure other forum members will be able to advise on dimensions from pieces in their collections.  As for other uniform items, try searching online for a re-enactment group as near as possible to your home. Also local museums might have some pieces and I’m sure that if you adopt an engaging, interested manner, as you have with this post, people will try to help.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I am more familiar with AIF patches. These are a 100% wool woven flannel, not a felt. Unless you examine them very closely they look like a felt, but when you do look closely you can see the pattern of the weave through the nap. The weave is much more visible if the are moth damaged or have been washed many times, removing the nap from the surface.  The flannel is a thin fabric, including the nap, about 1mm thick when it is not compressed. A lot of commercial felts are 2 to 3mm thick when not compressed. These need to be avoided.

I have only had the opportunity to handle a very small number of UK SD tunics with original patches on them (2). Both were flannel patches not felt.  Not enough examples for a definitive observation. I am sure that some of the GWF members have handled many dozens.

Good luck

Ross