Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing in action after 102 years

deutscherinfanteriest

This soldier is missing according this website and he fallen in his trench. Perhaps somebody knows if he is in a cemetery or not? Or is he a unknown or he has a grave?

michaelmaier1.jpg

Born in 1890 and killed in 1916

I take it you have looked at the German War Graves Site

I take Juli as July.. a Martin Maier appears on the 14 July 1916

on the 14th June 1916, there is a Michael Maier, an Infanterist who is buired in the military cemetery at Breitenbach in Block 9, Grab 213

Please can you a translate on the wording on the right of the photo 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

I take it you have examined the Bavarian Army records - click for 75 different Michael Maier born 1880 plus or minus 1 year

Careful study of his details may yield the right man

A Martin Maier of the same Regiment is reported missing in the same casualty list as Michael Maier. Reading further on the Gott mit uns website reveals that the German authorities received notice from the British in 1918, stating Michael Maier had been killed by a rifle bullet and had no known grave. 

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

the Gott mit uns website reveals that the German authorities received notice from the British in 1918, stating Michael Maier had been killed by a rifle bullet and had no known grave. 

How would the British know that a German soldier, who was known to be Michael Maier, had been killed specifically by rifle fire, yet had no known grave?

Had they found his body on the battlefield, removed his identification tags, and then just left the body?

" removed his identification tags, and then just left the body? "

Or they buried his body which was subsequently lost in further fighting (shell fire etc). Quite common, I think.

Mike

38 minutes ago, Skipman said:

" removed his identification tags, and then just left the body? "

Or they buried his body which was subsequently lost in further fighting (shell fire etc). Quite common, I think.

Mike

Yes.

So a grave subsequently lost rather than 'No Known Grave'.

Could he have been on a raid & killed near or in the British trenches & they buried him as suggested & body lost later in shell fire?

Maybe the history of the unit he was in might give details of the activity on the day he went missing.

19 hours ago, corisande said:

I take it you have examined the Bavarian Army records - click for 75 different Michael Maier born 1880 plus or minus 1 year

Careful study of his details may yield the right man

Not tried looking there, but an early death (1916) and we have his unit - so should be easier to tie down? Verlustlisten?

19 hours ago, charlie2 said:

A Martin Maier of the same Regiment is reported missing in the same casualty list as Michael Maier. Reading further on the Gott mit uns website reveals that the German authorities received notice from the British in 1918, stating Michael Maier had been killed by a rifle bullet and had no known grave. 

Charlie

That's him. He was born on 23 August 1890 in Willing. The information can also be found in the Kriegsstammrollen.

Jan

If you put that birth date in, you get 2 Bavarian Army service entries

Entry 1 - click

Entry 2 - click