Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy shovel/spade

Khaki

I recently saw a shovel/spade for sale, broad arrow etc , but with the ship's name also stamped on the metal collar,  it is a T handle identical to the infantry type. is it normal for a ships name to appear on  a shovel, it came from HMS Bulldog a destroyer.

thanks

khaki

Bulldog is a brand of shovel.

I worked at Clarington Forge, Wigan in the 1960's, English Tools was the company name and 'Bulldog' the tool brand.

Now known as 'Bulldog Tools'.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Interesting replies, thanks,  what I saw was definitely HMS Bulldog, however if I am back at the antique mall I will have another look and confirm it.

khaki

• 4 years later...

I don’t believe this was from any particular ship. Here’s why…….firstly there are many HMS Bulldog shovels out there if you Google it. They were manufactured  in the 1000s and not just for ships. Secondly the engraved or stamped "HMS Bulldog" looks like it was done during manufacture and not by some enthusiastic stoker onboard the ship. Thirdly there was an HMS Bulldog brand of shovel made by Bulldog tools. Here’s just a couple of examples found on eBay.

BFAD6401-A9B3-432F-A594-79EBC07A7CA5.jpeg

7C37E7B1-EFA7-4257-9BAE-77D86EF09977.jpeg

Edited by Lawryleslie

Clearly HMS BULLDOG (the destroyer) could not have loaded onboard all the ‘HMS’ Bulldog brand GS Shovels produced during the war, there were just too many of them (thousands).
Shovels of this type were needed by the infantry in great numbers as entrenching tools.There is so much rubbish written on the internet (ebay in particular) claiming such shovels are rare and bespoke manufactured for the small British warship that just happened to share the name.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

2 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Clearly HMS BULLDOG (the destroyer) could not have loaded onboard all the ‘HMS’ Bulldog brand GS Shovels produced during the war, there were just too many of them (thousands).
Shovels of this type were needed by the infantry in great numbers as entrenching tools.There is so much rubbish written on the internet (ebay in particular) claiming such shoveod are rare and bespoke manufactured for the small British warship that just happened to share the name.

MB

As I said.