Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment of German Pioneer

new3.2

Hello- I recently obtained a feldpostkarte  sent by Fritz Rupp (?).  He is a member of Pionierzug der 2.L.P.K.XIV.A.K.  Would someone identify this unit please?  Also came with it a photo of a soldier.  On each side of his collar is a large letter S, would this be part of a pioneer unit?  Fritz?  He has an award buttoned into his second button.  The award looks very light, could it be something other than an iron cross?  Thanks in advance.

water cart Ken Baumann

Hi,

the posting of the photos would help :rolleyes:.

1.) 2nd Landwehr Pionierkompanie (engineer) of XIV. Armeekorps

2.) Could well be a relatively rare photo of a Schneeschuh-Bataillon (snowshoe) member.

GreyC

Thank you GreyC, will work on the photo.

New3.2

Yes, both sound interesting but that "S" one sounds VERY interesting!

Still trying to post the "S" photo, I think I am of the wrong generation.

New3.2

Here's Ken's  image (sorry for the delay Ken - neck deep in chaos at work!)

Chris

IMG_3505_edited.jpg.6d03188463a2871837c29dfb25741943.jpg

Edited by 4thGordons

Hi,

good thing you managed to post this photo. The Schneeeschuh-Bataillone had a similiar "S" on the collar, however it was fixed in a less upright position and it was in green (or red) fabric. I haven´t come across a metal "S" on the collar like that before. As he wears Bavarian buttons, Schneeschuh-Formation is still a strong candidate. The award ribbon also seems to be Bavarian in its light blue/white color (MVK?)

Interesting.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

I am certain that I have seen a photograph of metal letters for Schneeeschuh-Bataillone - maybe in Somers, The Imperial German Armies, as I don't have that in the house at the moment.

I wondered about the buttons, but yes, Bavarian is likely but I did wonder if Wuerttenburg? 

Wasn't there something - some controversy - about the Schneeeschuh-Bataillone having distinctive markings? Making other troops jealous??? And I am positive I have seen a cloth "S" badge horizontally, not vertically!

Julian

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Wasn't there something - some controversy - about the Schneeeschuh-Bataillone having distinctive markings? Making other troops jealous???

Yes. When the Schneeschuh-Bataillone were integrated into Jäger units the Jäger were jealous of the "S".

So it was ordered to get rid of it in 1915, only to have the order reversed a little later, but too late, as all "S" were disposed of.

GreyC

Hello!

To me it´s Schneeschuh-Bataillon too.

Hello- Thank you all for your input.  Bavarian is always interesting as both grandparents had Bavarian cousins in the GW.  So all three items came from the UK (post card, photo, and death card).  Do not think the three are related.

new3.2 Ken