Remembered Today:

New Great War film.

neverforget

6 hours ago, phil andrade said:

The yanks would not agree.

Phil

I'd have it no other way.

12 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I can see I'm going to have to sit down and talk to you along the same lines as to Mrs Broomfield.

'Pissed' means inebriated. I suspect you mean 'Pissed off', which means unhappy, annoyed, irritated.

Carry on.

Thank you for that!!

Always happy to have a lesson in the Shakespearean language!

My regards to Mrs B!

M.

1 hour ago, Tom Kilkenny said:

Did anyone stay for the Q and A with Mark Kermode?  If so, did I miss much?

Yes, we did, you didn’t miss much.

30 minutes ago, Pighills said:

Yes, we did, you didn’t miss much.

I wouldn't say that. Peter Jackson has what many on the forum would regard as a refreshingly 'enlightened' take on the Great War. He emphasises the extent to which the participants, whose recollections form the soundtrack, did not seek pity which is what the popular conception of this war has treated them with (perhaps, with unintended condescension) ever since. 

I was interested to hear that the original footage was filmed, in some cases, as low as 15 frames per second which accounts for the 'jumpy' nature of what we are used to seeing. Computers 'invented' intervening frames which brought what you see up to 24 frames per second (if I remember correctly) and it is this, perhaps more than the coloured rendering, which allows us to see these men looking and behaving more naturally and with all the subtle nuances of expression which make them appear shockingly contemporary. This was the most staggering thing for me, and why I would urge you to see it!

Jackson says that his production team gave the same treatment to a lot of the footage provided by the IWM and which didn't make the film. It sets a bar for a lot of other historical film footage which could be so much more illuminating to modern viewers.

1 hour ago, Tom Kilkenny said:

Did anyone stay for the Q and A with Mark Kermode?  If so, did I miss much?

I thought it was interesting . Especially when Peter Jackson was asked about the famous scene where the Bedfordshire Regt

officer was delivering a pep talk to his men on the eve of the Somme and he related how he managed to track down the text of

the speech in the archives so he could sync the actors voice to the film . I also thought it was interesting when he was talking

about those veterans who said at the beginning that, even given what they went through , they are glad they went through it .

He pointed out that those who didn't come back may have had a different view on the subject, if they had been able to express it .

He also said that he had restored many hours of black and White footage free of charge for the I.W.M so there is no excuse for

documentary makers to use poor quality film clips in future.

I stayed and agree with the comments above. Hopefully the Q&A session might be shown as part of the BBC package on 11th November which also includes a 'Making of....' documentary.

On 18/10/2018 at 21:05, Chalkhill Blue said:

I was interested to hear that the original footage was filmed, in some cases, as low as 15 frames per second which accounts for the 'jumpy' nature of what we are used to seeing. Computers 'invented' intervening frames which brought what you see up to 24 frames per second (if I remember correctly) and it is this, perhaps more than the coloured rendering, which allows us to see these men looking and behaving more naturally and with all the subtle nuances of expression which make them appear shockingly contemporary. This was the most staggering thing for me, and why I would urge you to see it!

Saw the doc earlier this afternoon,I was astounded when the men came to life in their expressions and their exchanges.
Just fabulous in the way Peter Jackson and his team have brought them and their war life into focus for us lot.
So impressed with the work done.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if this documentary film will be shown on Dutch TV ? Is it available on CD-Rom in the Netherlands ?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

To be repeated tomorrow on BBC2 (Saturday 2 Feb) at 9pm. 

On 19/11/2018 at 20:46, zijde26 said:

Does anyone know if this documentary film will be shown on Dutch TV ? Is it available on CD-Rom in the Netherlands ?

Thanks

It's out on dvd in the UK now (I saw it in a shop this week) so you should be able to get it.