The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Great War film.

neverforget

Hopefully, something to be cautiously optimistic about:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42775398

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42775398

Edited by neverforget

The Peter Jackson project sounds and looks very interesting, the examples of the images I've seen are amazing.  Not too sure about some of the other items in the programme; the Hundred Days drama documentary could be ok.  Dan Snow on shell shock, hmmm, I'll reserve judgement on that.  Ewen McGregor being flown around by his brother sounds a bit like some celeb getting a very nice jolly, or is that me just being a jealous curmudgeon?

I can't help myself from watching anything new on WW1, and I'll be reserving judgement on all of them - even the boy Snow's latest offering. 

Snow gets really bad press on here but being not quite so critical as some, I quite enjoyed his recent "Lloyd George, my great grandfather." In my opinion he gave an honest, genuine and unbiased appraisal of George despite his connection to him, which incidentally, I'm prepared to admit I was unaware of. There you go; displaying my ignorance once again. 

Bring it on B.B.C. I'll be up for it. 

The enhanced black & white images shown in an interview with Peter Jackson on another thread are superb (and presumably the same technology can be applied to any old b/w film), but I am a bit apprehensive about the use of colourising.  PJ talked about using it to reach younger audiences who are put off by b/w media, but I hope he will also make available the enhanced b/w version for the benefit of us fossils who want to see the original footage in improved monochrome.

5 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

The enhanced black & white images shown in an interview with Peter Jackson on another thread are superb (and presumably the same technology can be applied to any old b/w film), but I am a bit apprehensive about the use of colourising.  PJ talked about using it to reach younger audiences who are put off by b/w media, but I hope he will also make available the enhanced b/w version for the benefit of us fossils who want to see the original footage in improved monochrome.

I'm with you most of the way, considering myself as one of the old fossils, but Great War programmes are preaching to the converted when it comes to us, and I do attach massive importance to appealing to and attracting the younger generations, whatever that takes, as long as the information provided to them is historically sound. 

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

is that me just being a jealous curmudgeon?

I think you got away with it.

14 hours ago, neverforget said:

I'm with you most of the way, considering myself as one of the old fossils, but Great War programmes are preaching to the converted when it comes to us, and I do attach massive importance to appealing to and attracting the younger generations, whatever that takes, as long as the information provided to them is historically sound. 

I agree entirely about appealing to younger generations, but it seems that the process of making the colourised film will involve first making an enhanced version of the original b/w footage ... so it shouldn't be difficult to make a monochrome version available for those who want it.

I wonder, incidentally, how far into the distance the enhancement process can reach.  It clearly produces magnificent results on close-up images, but what could it make, for example, of the long-distance shots in Malins' Somme film?  I'm also not clear whether the enhancement process stops at the point where it has extracted all the detail that is present in the film stock, or whether it continues, using digital wizardry to add detail that the editor thinks, feels or knows should be present.  This could perhaps be tested by comparing one or more of the close-up 'portraits' of men in the film with high-quality still photographic images of the same man, where such exist.   

I haven't the foggiest about the actual process involved, but I have seen one or two colourised efforts and had mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, the colourisation seemed to bring the images to life somewhat, but conversely, the black and white images seem sharper. 

On the whole I think I would prefer to see Great War footage in black and white, which seems to me to be somewhat more authentic.

Edited by neverforget

I agree, the Peter Jackson film sounds very promising. It would be good to see the enhanced B/W film and also a colourised version.

Re SiegeGunner's question on whether the enhancements can reach the background, there are astonishing scenes in the recently released 'Battle Of Ancre' film where wave upon wave of soldiers can be seen advancing on the distant horizon - detail that was unavailable in the original somewhat blurry print.

• 8 months later...

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but the Peter Jackson film now has a title “They Shall Not Grow Old” [sic] and is due to be released in OCTOBER.

Information about it is a bit standardised on these lines http://www.liveforfilm.com/2018/08/21/peter-jacksons-they-shall-not-grow-old-to-premiere-at-the-62nd-bfi-london-film-festival/ but it sounds worth catching.

Edit:  Ah, more at https://www.theyshallnotgrowold.film/ including details of venues.  

Piers

Edited by pierssc
Correcting dates

Sounds all very interesting.

Of course WWI footage will always be more authentic in black and white, but on the other hand, having them colorised might show a younger generation that these guys were not that different from themselves. So I'll be looking forward to that ... and hoping it'll show in Belgium.

M.

I am booked in for 16th October at my local cinema.

If I am reading the blurb correctly, it will be in 3D which will be a new experience for me.

BBC breakfast will be showing, the trailer for this film, about 9 o’clock this morning.   Not much notice but I have only just turned the T V on, I expect will be on BBC news throughout the day.

Mandy

An interview with Peter Jackson in today's Sunday Times Culture supplement. The film will be shown on the BBC in November. I look forward to it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The film is reviewed on today's Daily Telegraph, half a page on Page 3 no less, the reviewer Robbie Collins likes it very much; sounds good to me, too.

Film seen this evening. See it whenever you get a chance. Memorable.

David

Me too. Cinema 95% full, people coming in armed with dustbins full of popcorn and coke....... not a sound during the showing. I thought it was stunning. I won't spoil it for those watching in November but the clarity of the film, the colourisation and especially the 3D (sorry but that won't be there on TV..... certainly not mine) bring these old, familiar films alive and place the individual soldiers centre-stage. They've done a tremendous job and, apparently, he and his crew have restored (not colourised or 3D) a further 100 hours of film in the IWM/BBC archives, some of which will hopefully see the light of day in some shape or form.

A drive through horrific traffic in North London tested me in body and soul.

It was worth it.

The impact was huge.

My God, what terrible teeth our grandfathers had !  The colour amplified the shock.

Hardly a decent set of gnashers to be seen !

No attempt at coherent narrative : just a series of vignettes as we've never seen before.

It worked.

Recommended, to say the least.

Phil

11 hours ago, simond9x said:

I won't spoil it for those watching in November 

I bet it was the butler. It always is.

7 hours ago, phil andrade said:

... My God, what terrible teeth our grandfathers had !  The colour amplified the shock. Hardly a decent set of gnashers to be seen ...

Phil

Something never depicted in modern films about the Great War, or indeed the 1939-45 one. Today's actors have their own well-preserved teeth and generally look more wholesome than the gnarled and wizened servicemen they portray.

Moonraker

NOT showing in Belgium... officially pissed ...

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I can see I'm going to have to sit down and talk to you along the same lines as to Mrs Broomfield.

'Pissed' means inebriated. I suspect you mean 'Pissed off', which means unhappy, annoyed, irritated.

Carry on.

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I can see I'm going to have to sit down and talk to you along the same lines as to Mrs Broomfield.

'Pissed' means inebriated. I suspect you mean 'Pissed off', which means unhappy, annoyed, irritated.

Carry on.

The yanks would not agree.

Phil

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Officially not surprised!