Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM & Peter Jackson Restore Film Footage - They Shall Not Grow Old

Derek Black

This is amazing news! we will look forward to seeing the results of this venture.

A real contrast, wonder how this is achieved?

Mike.

23 hours ago, MikeyH said:

A real contrast, wonder how this is achieved?

Mike.

There are several techniques that can be applied once the film is digitized.  For example, by examining a series of frames, it becomes readily apparent which elements on the film are temporary artifacts and which are the actual subject matter.  There are algorithms out there that can automatically remove many of the artifacts using this type of process.  Other changes visible in the footage include standard brightness/contrast or histogram "stretching" to pull out a particular range of pixel values and add definition to, for example, areas of shadow.  Simply playing the footage at a consistent speed also helps improve the overall appearance.  Finally, there's a host of other image manipulation algorithms that can be applied to sharpen edges, match aberrant pixel values to the surrounding values etc. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film.  I agree with the concerns about colourization which, at the end of the day, are purely the artist's perception of how it "might" have appeared.  That said, if it gets younger generations engaged in the history, then I'm all for it.  As others have noted, I'd like to see a DVD that provides both colourized and monochrome viewing options.  Ideally, I'd like to see the original footage as well, otherwise many people may fail to grasp the extent and impact of the transformations applied to the footage.

Like so many soldiers, my Grandfather would not speak about his experiences during WW1.

If this film remotely portrays the social aspects, the conditions, the fear etc.,it will be a very worthwhile project.

As for the colour, I find that exciting as well...and I'm 60 years of age.  A DVD with both colour and monochrome is an excellent idea in my opinion.

V/R

Wayne

This is fantastic news.  Wonder if we can suggest some footage to the project? I've been looking at some footage provided on the IWM collections website that could do with some fine tuning.

It's of The Buffs, the East Kent Regiment and once upon a time it must have been easy once upon a time to identify many of the participants. For any one interested in this kind format - the film is divided into themed sections a couple of which ,in particular, I would love to see cleaned up and digitally sharpened: one is a short, fairly close-up sequence of a group of officers chatting a little self consciously to one another (would be fab to be able to lip-read this), and an intriguing and fairly long sequence of a large group of soldiers mucking around to some music being played by some of their mates to the right of the gathering.  I think it was filmed in the summer of 1917 before their awful experiences in October.

Take a look if you have some spare time.

• 7 months later...

I understand that this exciting venture is also to be shown on BBC 1 on 11 November.... does anyone know if a DVD is planned?

Andrew

Just booked my ticket for a local vue cinema 

It states Q&A which we all know is Questions and Answers but mine showing with Peter Jackson. 

Well that should be interesting as all venues have a q&a with Peter Jackson. 

If they do have a q&a, it will be very interesting to see who it will and the type of questions asked. 

I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD...

It gets better and better!  I can’t wait.

My only reservation is whether it is likely to be let down by the soundtrack - anachronistic sound effects, engine noises, etc etc.  We’ll see.

I THINK.i heard it was going to be shown on tv 11 November

:poppy:

49 minutes ago, BIFFO said:

I THINK.i heard it was going to be shown on tv 11 November

:poppy:

That's right, but I think it may be worth catching in the cinema on October 16th for the bigger screen experience.

On 02/10/2018 at 12:39, pierssc said:

That's right, but I think it may be worth catching in the cinema on October 16th for the bigger screen experience.

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

Agreed. Wonder if it's a deliberate mistake.

Naw. Pure ignorance.

20 hours ago, IanA said:

I much prefer the verse as originally written by Binyon.

17 hours ago, IanA said:

Naw. Pure ignorance.

I agree entirely. The first few words of this stanza from Binyon’s poem are fast becoming the most misquoted  from any well known piece and it is surely not that difficult to get it right.