Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Heels - Who's his daddy ?

ss002d6252

5 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

I think I have found them....doesn't that I not convinced they knew how old the were.....the key location word is Crook & Katherine being from Kildare

Screenshot_20180122-171817.jpg

Thanks Andy, Certainly worth looking at. Crook is certainly closer to Witton Park than Pelton is. And Eals is a good match to Heels.

Craig

John left home and married to Mary, daughter Jane, son Edward.

Joseph still at home, names and YoBs fluctuate a bit.

Screenshot_20180122-172809.jpg

Screenshot_20180122-172739.jpg

1911,  Edward appears to be at a School....struggling to find John and Mary & Jane in 1911.

In Edward's service documents he is down as EJ on a few pages and a aged which on some pages seem to 17 and others 19..

So back to did Edward see his uncle Joseph, in the likeness of his father...as John born in 1873 is clearly to old to be the John Eales (Heels) found earlier who on the SWB roll is aged 37 in 1917.

Regards

Andy

Screenshot_20180122-181628.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks Andy, most appreciated .

It's the 'J Heels' bit left  to unravel now.  I can only see the injuries for #2491 Joseph Heels and #2133 Edward J Heels.

We know Joseph had a gun shot wound to at least one arm, which ties in with the article but we don't know what Edwards' wound was,

The article would make most sense if J Heels is Edward J and he is writing to his sister to say that he saw the likeness of his father in Uncle Joseph.
But
It could also make sense if Joseph is writing to his sister to say that he saw the likeness of his father in his nephew Edward.

I may have to leave it until I can find more information regarding the actual wounds.

The long shot is #2479 John Heels - he was 37 in 1917 when he was discharged and he was also at Ypres with the battalion. It's unclear if he is related to the other two men as the date of birth isn't close enough to say and I can't see any evidence of injury.

Craig

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

but we don't know what Edwards' wound was,

Hi Craig, the screen shot in post#11 is from Edward's file, BW left arm, further into the files it also states GSW left shoulder.

I have found something else, which I was looking for based on the Father statement...The Heels/Eales were Roman Catholic..."Spirtual Father"?

Andy

Screenshot_20180122-222957.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

• 10 months later...
32 minutes ago, bev dom said:

Joseph was my grandad. He died before I was born.

Hello, and welcome.

Do you think you could tell us more about him?

Getting his correct name (Heels, Heel, Heal, Eales have all been postulated) would be a blessing, along with his dates, next of kin and address.

a bit maybe. Called him Heels even though this his parents were Eales. I don't know why. Catherine mother from Kildare. he had a big family. James Heels the last of his children and my dad. Mary Anne his wife was Pickering. My granda the one smoking

granda.jpg

That's great.

I'm sure Craig will be pleased when he sees this tomorrow, presuming he's not in front of sitting on the magistrates again tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's great.

I'm sure Craig will be pleased when he sees this tomorrow, presuming he's not in front of sitting on the magistrates again tomorrow.

Not until Thursday - not allowed to sit on them any-more (or throw the book).

Excellent, thanks for the extra information. One of the good points of this forum is that sooner or later extra information always arrives.

Craig

6 minutes ago, bev dom said:

no worries guys. why was it you needed it for? Or is it a page looking for WW1 soldiers?

I have done a lot of research regarding the 6th DLI and building up the nominal roll of the men from April 1915 - anything that allows me to link men together is useful. I also have a manuscript on the go regarding the period up to and including Ypres so letters and similar are of interest.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

52 minutes ago, bev dom said:

I am proud of my Grandad. even though I never knew him.

You have every right to be.

Is he the man who died in Co. Durham in 1952?

And one last question:

Do you have a thought on  the newspaper report (see Craig's original post), where he is quoted as saying - ..."I saw my father...", in that trench in France.

I wonder if it was something he ever elaborated on, or whether it was a story that was known within the family?

not sure of death date. Edward, Joseph's dad had died before that paper clipping I think so I am thinking that his wounds had made him see his dad that wasn't there. I had a friend that looked in to this for me.