Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canada corner

West riding

I am doing research into Major R Day 245 brigade RFA. Can anybody tell me if Canada corner in the Gheluvelt sector is another name for Hell fire corner. 

Never heard it called by any other name

there is a Canada Corner at M 17. c. 5. 5. On sheet 28 SW1 Kemmel 

canada street, Trench and Tunnel was at I 30 a on sheet 28 NW 4 & NE 3 Zillebeke 

which is no where near Hell Fire Corner which was at I. 10. c 

The Canada Corner at Kemmel was also known as Hyde Park Corner.

Phil

Edited by Phil Evans

The Canadian Corner was at M 17 c on 28 SW 1 kemmel 

not to be mistaken by its famous sister at Ploegsteert

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Hi,

War diaries show B/245 moving via canada corner to relieve 2nd New Zealand at sheet 28 N.E. 1/20000. Any idea where that final destination is. Hope you can help, thanks.

You are going to need to be more specifc; i.e. dates and assuming you are using Ancestry for the war diary, a direct link to the page would save a lot of time for someone trying to find the relevant diary extract.

Is there a full map reference somewhere in the diary? Sheet 28NE covers a large area.

If B/245 were to relieve the 2nd NZ (what?) at sheet 28 NE, then the location of the New Zealanders on sheet 28 NE was their final destination.

Does the war diary indicate where B/245 were starting from?  The location may be in the first column on the diary page, Canada Corner and their final destination may not be on the same map.

What is the date on the war diary page, it may help to identify the location of the 2nd NZ (?)

John

Edited by John Milner

Maybe the entrance of the Canada Laan (road towards Sanctuary Wood) can be looked upon as 'a' Canada Corner...

as it is not that far from Hellfire Corner and also isn't very far from Geluveld as well.

on that specific corner now stands the Canada dance hall/cafe/once-in-a-month-militaria fair...

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments, apologies for lack of information from war diaries. The 2nd New zealand field artillery seems to be who they are relieving. Setting out from Ochtezeela following several days rest and training. Marching to new position via Cassel / St Sylvester Cappel / Caestre / Fletre / Mont Noir / Westoutre. When they arrive on the 23rd Feb 1918 Major Day is killed on the first day of the relief. Cheers all.

Reading between the lines in 245 and 246 Brigade diaries, I would guess that Day got hit somewhere around Westhoek while recconoitring for the gun positions. Certainly it was Birr Cross Roads eastward. The guns were positioned the following day in 28.J.2 /J.7 / J.8 / J.13 & J.14, which is pretty much North - South through Westhoek.

They relieved 2nd New Zealand Army Field Artillery Brigade.

Phil