Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Plaque Evans

wmfinch

Hello All,

I'm searching for a death plaque (penny) for Private Reginald Wilfred Evans ( a relative).  I am happy to go for a full size replica, but does anyone know where I might find a company who does raised lettering like the originals please?

V/R

Wayne

Personally I am not in favour of replicas but understand the reason for display purposes should a family be unable to locate the originals. You could try http://replicamedals.co.uk/product/full-sized-memorial-plaque/

Philip

Edited by Philip Wilson

Thank you Philip...really appreciate your reply.

I totally agree that originals are best, but his original medals were returned in 1919, so I'm almost convinced I won't find a Death Penny unless there is one out there with the same name.

The good news is that I was successful in applying for his official replacement medals, and I took them to his grave last Sept. to  'show him'.

V/R

Wayne

9 minutes ago, wmfinch said:

The good news is that I was successful in applying for his official replacement medals, and I took them to his grave last Sept. to  'show him'.

Nice Wayne : )

Dan

Here's a few supplementary questions please.

I checked the CWGC site for Reginald Wilfred Evans, and only my relative came up.  Plenty of R W Evans but only one for the exact name.

Is there a way of finding out if a Death Plaque was actually issued?  Also, were they issued with the medals?  Perhaps it was returned?

If it was returned, would it have been melted down like the original medals?

I'm assuming, official replacements are not available.

With grateful thanks,

V/R

Wayne

• Admin

The issue of the death plaque and scroll was entirely separate to the process for the issue of medals, although the address of the nok was that recorded at the Record Office.

Where the address of the nok were not known they were not sent out,  many men who were killed or died were not commemorated with the scroll and plaque. The scrolls were sent out separately to the plaque, due to production delays,  if the scroll was returned unlikely a plaque would be sent.  

No, official replacements are not available.

Ken

Thank you for the clarifications Ken....much appreciated.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will never find an original plaque for Reginald, especially as the CWGC lists only one Reginald Wilfred Evans.

At least I have his replacement medals, which have become a valued family heirloom.

V/R

Wayne