Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cathcart J.S. RIF. Killed Cathcart G RIF

ARMAGH

Roll of Honour 1914 -18 RBP Cathcart J.S. Killed Cathcart G RIF

In an Armagh hall there is a Roll of Honour 1914-18 RBP I am trying to find where the two men came from they must have lived in Armagh to become members of the Royal Black Preceptory but can find no trace,can any one help?  Joe                                                                                                                               Cathcart JS Royal Irish Fusiliers 1st Bn UK Citations of the Distinguished Conduct Medal Military Date: 11 Mar 1916 Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers) Regimental Number: 8248 CSM JS Cathcart 11 Mar 1916 For conspicous gallantry CSM Cathcart exhibited the  greatest bravery amd devotion in the performance of his duty and was at all times of the greatest assistance to his Company Comd.

Cathcart G RIF is listed on the memorial as killed,there is no CWGC for this name from the Armagh area it could be that he died from injuries receved after the war had finished and no one notied the CWGC.

I have been informed some orange members were not local, there was an Orange lodge based in the Royal Irish Fusiliers Armagh barracks and some Black lodges would have recruited these men. 
Cathcart G RIF is listed on the memorial as killed,there is no CWGC for this name from the Armagh area it could be that he died from injuries receved after the war had finished and no one informed the CWGC, or this could be the man from Co Mayo Religion C of I, I will check the newspapers when I get rid of this bug.
CATHCART, George Serjeant    Service Number 8849 Died 11/04/1917                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                1st Bn. Royal Irish Fusiliers BROWN'S COPSE CEMETERY,
It would help if there was an enrolment book or  ledger for Orange/Black Lodges available that could be checked,
Regards
Joe