Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Upton FT 45930 2/8 Worcestershire Regiment

Luscombe

32 minutes ago, Luscombe said:

Hi

I am trying to get more information about a relative F T Upton 45930 of the Worcestershire Regiment who died 24 October 1918

What do you already know about him ?

Craig

Find My Past has a partial hospital record which shows he was sick in hospital at some point, at the time he was with 14th Worcester's. Looking at details of another man on the same list suggests that the hospitalisation appears to have been at the very end of January or the first few days of February 1918.

Craig

Hi Luscombe,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any surviving service papers.

From the amount of war gratuity paid (as per his Soldiers Effects record), using Craig's calculator (see the last line in his 'signature' in the post above), gives an estimated date of service counting from circa February 1917. His Soldiers Died record says that he enlisted in Birmingham. His medal roll record shows that he first saw overseas service with the 14th Battalion, before service with the 2/8th Battalion. The Long, Long Trail (here) says the 14th Bn arrived in France in June 1916, so it would appear that Frederick was a reinforcement. The battalion war diary  is here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. It is unlikely to mention him by name.

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Find My Past has a partial hospital record which shows he was sick in hospital at some point, at the time he was with 14th Worcester's. Looking at details of another man on the same list suggests that the hospitalisation appears to have been at the very end of January or the first few days of February 1918.

There is a Forces War Record hospital admission/discharge register transcription which shows him as a 14 Bn man who was admitted to 3 Casualty Clearing Station (from "150th Royal Naval") on 25th February 1918 suffering from "Inflammation of connective tissue hand left". He was then transferred to 1 Ambulance Train the following day.   

The war diary for the 2/8th Bn is here at the National Archives, and here on Ancestry. 

It might be worth looking at the records for Attwood, Dingley, and Hartland in this 'near number' search to see if there are any commonalities, from which you may be able to draw some inferences about Frederick's early service.

There is advice on how to research a soldier on the LLT - see here.

Regards

Chris 

Edit:

I presume '150th Royal Naval' = 150 Field Ambulance

There are some map references in the battalion war diary in the entry for 24th October 1918. Advice on how to read them is on the LLT here. The Division HQ war diary has a good map - Ancestry link here

Edited by clk

26 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Luscombe,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any surviving service papers.

From the amount of war gratuity paid (as per his Soldiers Effects record), using Craig's calculator (see the last line in his 'signature' in the post above), gives an estimated date of service counting from circa February 1917. His Soldiers Died record says that he enlisted in Birmingham. His medal roll record shows that he first saw overseas service with the 14th Battalion, before service with the 2/8th Battalion. The Long, Long Trail (here) says the 14th Bn arrived in France in June 1916, so it would appear that Frederick was a reinforcement. The battalion war diary  is here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. It is unlikely to mention him by name.

There is a Forces War Record hospital admission/discharge register transcription which shows him as a 14 Bn man who was admitted to 3 Casualty Clearing Station (from "150th Royal Naval") on 25th February 1918 suffering from "Inflammation of connective tissue hand left". He was then transferred to 1 Ambulance Train the following day.   

The war diary for the 2/8th Bn is here at the National Archives, and here on Ancestry. 

It might be worth looking at the records for Attwood, Dingley, and Hartland in this 'near number' search to see if there are any commonalities, from which you may be able to draw some inferences about Frederick's early service.

There is advice on how to research a soldier on the LLT - see here.

Regards

Chris 

Thanks Chris - the FWR record is interesting. The 'other man' I found on the casualty records was from the RFC:

Capture.PNG.2411379b6cb065484e3046163630f3a6.PNG

This man was admitted 5 Feb 18 but later transferred home by 5 March 18. I wonder if the list on FMP isn't for the initial hospital admission as I had thought but for the transfer back to the UK or to a base hospital - the timings would then fit with FWR for Upton.  Does #59757 Mersh happen to have a FWR transcription  to see if it can be tied down further ?

Thanks for checking the war gratuity - my Ancestry sub has expired again.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Craig,

I didn't see anything for Mersh. I guess that leaves Luscombe up in the air a bit, and the best that can be said is that (in the absence of further evidence) his/her relative was transferred/posted from the 14th Bn to the 2/8th at some time after February 1918.

Regards

Chris - not rocking FMP at the mo!

• 2 weeks later...