Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907 Hookie - Is this a good one?

depaor01

7 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

I think it's ok to say that it went to a antipodean forum member so it will be heading back. The bad news is 480 Euro plus 30% buyer premium plus 120 Euro shipping. There was a Thai 1920s Mauser in the same lot.

Dave

Sorry you missed out, but the final price doesn't surprise me as a really nice example....next time maybe.

Dave.

Just now, Dave66 said:

Sorry you missed out, but the final price doesn't surprise me as a really nice example....next time maybe.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. It was great to get all the opinions on it and I'm all set to be able to recognise "A good one" next time!

Dave 

3 hours ago, trajan said:

Oh, and while on the subject of relic condition bayonets, have a look at this pair, on offer over here and I think we can all guess where they came from...

Now that's proper relic condition, I quite like them actually and would happily display them...now sure Mrs B would agree though!

Dave.

1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

I think it's ok to say that it went to a antipodean forum member so it will be heading back. The bad news is 480 Euro plus 30% buyer premium plus 120 Euro shipping. There was a Thai 1920s Mauser in the same lot.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Now that's proper relic condition, I quite like them actually and would happily display them...now sure Mrs B would agree though!

That price is not too bad, given the pairing and scabbard markings, , and how much the nice ones do go for, etc. A pound to a penny though that it never saw much if any active service! And I think I can guess which Forumite it went to!

Yes, these relicy-relics are quite nice in their way, but if hung for display, the bits of corroded iron dropping on the floor would be something to make the average SWMBO object to! 

30 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Not a word!

:rolleyes: So, I guess full details will not be posted...:(

11 hours ago, trajan said:

Not that off topic as the HQ P.1907 was based on the Japanese Type 30 Arisaka bayonet of 1897! Is yours dated? 

The forward hooked quillon on these and the P.1907 is, in a manner of speaking, a skeuomorph, an inherited feature that was originally functional, as with the quillon on fencing swords for catching an opponents' blade and snapping it, easily done with light swords, but has become decorative, i.e., it may have been intended to have a functional use in bayonet fightng but was very rarely used as such in the GW - as far as I am aware - although yes, soldiers did practice the necessary skills. 

Trajan

Hello Trajan

there is no date on the bayonet but has a serial,number stamped on the end of the pummel. In addition it has a circle with three semi circles on its circumference along with a letter M both stamped on the hilt of the blade. These two stamps I believe indicate it was made by National Denki under the Kukura Arsenal which I think dates it after 1936. The scabbard is steel with a small bulbous tip. 

Lawry

Edited by Lawryleslie