Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beret badge of towed artillery ?

Gada de Guivry

Hello, I am doing research on the history of my village (Guivry, Aisne), especially on 1914-1918 now.

We found English badges on the town and have trouble identifying them.

Could you help us?

This badge is also Royal Artillery, but the sovereign’s crown has been broken off from the top.

good morning,

for me it's for officier.

1 : Traces of the two folding legs

2 : No traces of Crown breakage

I'm thinking of an officer collar.

The badge must be in Bronze view of its thickness.

collar.jpg.198cb1fa903b1d819bbf626a08563167.jpg

regards

michel

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

for me it's for officier.

1 : Traces of the two folding legs

2 : No traces of Crown breakage

I'm thinking of an officer collar.

The badge must be in Bronze view of its thickness.

regards

michel

Michel, the officers’ pattern collar badge comprised a bronze grenade with a scroll at its base inscribed with the regimental motto, UBIQUE (meaning everywhere).  The badge shown is of a type that when manufactured had a so-called Tudor crown at its top.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Il y a 21 heures, battle of loos a dit:

Bonjour,

pour moi, c'est pour l'officier.

1:  Traces des deux jambes repliables

2: Aucune trace de rupture de la Couronne

Je suis » penser d' un officier col .

Le badge doit être en vue Bronze de son épaisseur .

Cordialement

michel

Hello and thank you for your proposals.
If it helps, here is some more information:
1) It seems that the metal is bronze, compared to other objects of the time in copper or brass.
2) There is no evidence of breakage on the top of the badge (looked at magnifying lens), so no crown at this location.
3) The "mobile" wheel was positioned when it was found on the fixed wheel of the badge and left only during cleaning. The "mobile" wheel was part of the original badge.
3) As Michel said, there are two traces (1 and 1 on the photo) of legs or fasteners on the back of the badge (seen with a magnifying glass).

Gada de Guivry

good morning :

Here is the type of fixation that should be present on this badge :

canadian officier collar :

5a64b192b49cd_53thoverseaBat(1).JPG.7631deac29d0bdfafb4fe8f79ba4944a.JPG5a64b1961f22a_53thoverseaBat(2).JPG.15bfc4943c41b3bbe188818c5218ef34.JPG

here is a cap badge ' Canadian Field Artillery ' with the mobile wheel (here variant for the troop :

5a64b2662d9d7_CANADIANFIELDARTILLERYmlerouetournante.JPG.079ccef21ed105238e7760a113834665.JPG

The wheel is held by an axle that crosses the two wheels in its center and serves both sides so that the top remains movable.

regards

michel

Two lugs, loops, or blades on a bronze badge indicate an officer’s service dress (OSD) badge.  These were common during WW1 and since.  The officers badge also had the extra wheel to convey a 3D appearance. So popular was this that some soldiers paid for a similar badge in brass or gilding metal because of its superior appearance.  Such badges were not government issue for enlisted men but they could be purchased from commercial suppliers.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

enlisted men 

Joining the US Army are we ;)

1 minute ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Joining the US Army are we ;)

Ha!  I thought it might be better understood internationally, as I suspect you know, you old tease!

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Two lugs, loops, or blades on a bronze badge indicate an officer’s service dress (OSD) badge.  These were common during WW1 and since.  The officers badge also had the extra wheel to convey a 3D appearance. So popular was this that some soldiers paid for a similar badge in brass or gilding metal because of its superior appearance.  Such badges were not government issue for enlisted men but they could be purchased from commercial suppliers.

But - and correct me if I'm wrong - it's still a cap, rather than collar badge - and despite appearances there would definitely once have been a crown on top which has now broken off.

4 hours ago, munce said:

But - and correct me if I'm wrong - it's still a cap, rather than collar badge - and despite appearances there would definitely once have been a crown on top which has now broken off.

Yes to both. I’ve tried to make that clear to our French fellow forum members and hope that those key facts have not been lost in the translation.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, munce said:

As already stated above, the top of the cap badge has been broken off, and the OP is looking in the wrong place for signs of this damage. The crown was above the scroll "Ubique", this being attached above the muzzle and breech of the artillery piece, leaving a clear gap between. Looking at the original badge the broken off ends can just be made out (though it does look very neat, perhaps kept and tidied up somewhat?):

Damaged artillery badge comparison.png

Edited by Andrew Upton