Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4 Brothers that served , 3 KIA ?

Richard Matlock

Hello all , trying to research 4 brother who I think served again I think 3 were sadly KIA but I am not sure as I have not got access to all the sites and I am not very good at seeing the wood for the trees especially with census stuff , the brothers are   

811 Pte. Walter.A. Powell  Royal Warwickshire regiment.

A2209 Pte. William Powell  K.R.R.C  - KIA 30/7/15 

6217 Pte. Alfred Powell 2 batt Coldstream guards – KIA 16/9/16

44321 Acting Bombardier John Nathaniel Powell RFA – KIA 21/2/16.

anything as usual greatly excepted

Rich M 

Alfred was born and enlisted in Birmingham

Hi Rich, 

Walter Austin Powell 1st Btn Royal Warwicks, then Royal Defence Corps #79048, service records under the Walter Powell and number 811 on FindMyPast.

CWGC links.

William Powell 9th Btn KRRC, Effects £3 paid to Mother Mary (Sole Leg) suggests a Soldiers Will...the death on or since is interesting there is a July 1915 date, then a Sept 15 date. SDGW and MIC stated died of wounds/died.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1624745/powell,-william/

Alfred 2nd Btn Coldstream Guards

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/543479/powell,-/

John, 46th Battery 39th Bde RFA

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/563712/powell,-john-nathaniel/

I am sure much more will follow, but to see the woods for the trees, maybe a thread for each maybe easier, one at a time?

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

there is another brother, Baden.. honest

John Powell 36
Mary Powell 34
Alfred Powell 13
John Powell 11
Walter Powell 9
William Powell 7
Baden Powell 4/12

This is from the 1901 census - you check the ages against any on the cwgc etc but this seems very likely

Hi,

Alfred Powell will be a 1905 enlistment from his Regimental Number so you may find he was a recalled reservist in August 1914.

You should be able to find him on the 1911 census when he would likely be in civilian employment or if he was still serving 3rd CG at Tower of London, 2nd at Victoria Barracks and IIRC 1st Battalion at Wellington Barracks.

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

Newspaper report (Oct 1916)gives Alfred parents address as 88 Upper Trinity St, Birmingham. the same address as John Nathaniel Militia attestation. The Militia record show his move to the artillery. The newspaper refer to brother John and William being KIA and Walter being wounded and home on leave.

Alfred and John are proven as brothers I believe.

Thanks all I was trying to confirm that they were brothers as I was struggling to get there , looks like they are but any more confirmation would be good 

Rich M 

There is currently nothing I have found that says the 2 Soldiers you have found positively identifies them as the William and Walter that were brothers of John and Alfred. The names are common and Birmingham is big. So I think the statement look like there are is more than a little too strong. More work to do

Thanks all, Mark1959 do you have the newspaper article or details, the more we have the better I think if we can get the ages when KIA we may be able to do something, does anyone know if guards records from pre war are available as it Looks like Alfred may be in them.

Rich M 

guards records for those who died will only by found at RHQ, Wellington Barracks, London - at a cost of £30 or so each

20 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

There is currently nothing I have found that says the 2 Soldiers you have found positively identifies them as the William and Walter that were brothers of John and Alfred. The names are common and Birmingham is big. So I think the statement look like there are is more than a little too strong. More work to do

Hi Mark, unless I have miss understood...the CWGC give Mary & John as the parents of the William Powell.

Andy

Screenshot_20180120-195100.jpg

51 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

So 3 proven. Just Walter to go.

Sorry my mistake the one above is 811 Walter Arthur Powell.

Andy

brave family

Very brave thanks again all as always you have answered my questions , would still love to have access to the newspapers article 

Rich M 

Thanks again Mark1959 , you mention johns militia attestation papers, where have you found these as we can't seem to find them ?

Rich M