Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RH & RFA

I have my grandfathers certificate from service.  I understand it’s Royal Horse & Royal Field Artillery.  It says he was in the 1st Low Brigade RFA

Regtl. 650420

it also indicates he has served overseas, was awarded a medal that I can’t make out. The date 11-11-18.  Might begin Autt

He served from 19-1-1915 to 17-4-1919.   I have photos of him in uniform on his horse

thank you for helping me find out where he served and anything else so I can share with my children and family.   

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the Forum B.Harris,

Your grandfather's number indicates enlistment into the 2nd City of Edinburgh Battery of 1st Lowland Brigade RFA. The problem is, by the time he had joined, the battery had been duplicated to provide a 2nd line and a 3rd line was being prepared as reserves. His medal index card (MIC) does not show an entitlement to the 1914-15 Star, so he went overseas sometime after December 31, 1915.  The 1st line brigade (1/1st Lowland Brigade RFA) landed in France on October 24, 1915 and joined 51st Division a little later. So although he wasn't with them initially he may have joined them in the field as a reserve. The 2nd and 3rd Lines did not go overseas but men were withdrawn from these units from mid 1916, due to the Military Service Act, and transferred where required. Therefore it cannot be said with any confidence exactly where and with whom he served. The 2nd Line were sent to Ireland but this wasn't a war zone.

He was awarded the Victory and British War medals. In both pictures he is ranked as a bombardier (1 stripe) and appears to have a skill at driving badge (i.e. with a team of horses). It might help if you knew where either picture was taken.

Sorry, sadly the photos are unmarked.  The one portrait I have was done by Crescent Studio in Braintree.  

He had told us he was in Africa, is that possible?

very grateful for your help

The 2nd Line for the Lowland Divisional Ammunition Column (65th Division) were based at Braintree for a while from March 1916.

I could be that he was then posted to the 1st Line Lowland Divisional Ammunition Column (52nd Division) who were serving in Egypt/Palestine. This was reformed from the Brigade Ammunition Columns on January 1, 1917. Alternatively, he could have been posted to one of the 1st Line Brigades in Egypt from 1917.