Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Norton ...BBC website

phil1963

7 hours ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Sadly it would seem that Sjt Edward Norton will remaining one of the missing, and the British Soldier found will remain unknown.

With the the info we provided the JCCC managed to contact half a dozen potential bloodline relatives, but sadly none came foward to be DNA sampled.

Well done all for the attempt!

Andy

"Sadly none came forward to be DNA sampled" ???? how sad and such a sign of the times!

13 minutes ago, andy2014 said:

"Sadly none came forward to be DNA sampled" ???? how sad and such a sign of the times!

Indeed, the relatives were a mixed bag of ages, guess more worried about personal information storage...who knows.  The lady from JCCC so wanted to 100% confirm it, as all the evidence strongly suggested it was him.

Very strange. Perhaps only to GWF people. Why would you not do a DNA test to give someone a proper commemoration?

A few minutes that involves no effort so that someone who sacrificed his life can be given due honour. 

A little upset and even a bit angry.

5 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Very strange. Perhaps only to GWF people. Why would you not do a DNA test to give someone a proper commemoration?

A few minutes that involves no effort so that someone who sacrificed his life can be given due honour. 

A little upset and even a bit angry.

Strongly inclined to agree.

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hi All

Just a shot in the dark but there is an Funeral Company in Luton called T E Nevilles they have been there for years and years and may have records of what you are looking for like addresses of the deceased and who paid for the funerals. There are not many Funeral Directors in Luton, but you never know. Stotfold is only a small village just outside Luton, Church records?

Regards Andy  

30 minutes ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi All

Just a shot in the dark but there is an Funeral Company in Luton called T E Nevilles they have been there for years and years and may have records of what you are looking for like addresses of the deceased and who paid for the funerals. There are not many Funeral Directors in Luton, but you never know. Stotfold is only a small village just outside Luton, Church records?

Regards Andy  

Hello Andy, I will email the detail to JCCC, the challenge is proving the line, which for Edward his direct family line and siblings all seemed to fizzle out with no living relatives, the same is true for his father's line....but going through his aunts (The Godbeers) provided a number of second cousins who are still searchable on the likes of 192 and electoral rolls.

Cheers

Andy

My name is Terry Coleman, I am the son of Stanley Edward Coleman, Grandson of Amos Godbeer Coleman,.

Edward Norton is my 1st cousin twice removed. His mother Mary Ann was the sister of my Great Grandmother Susan Godbeer.

I am happy to help.

Regards,

Terry Coleman.

1 hour ago, terryc said:

My name is Terry Coleman, I am the son of Stanley Edward Coleman, Grandson of Amos Godbeer Coleman,.

Edward Norton is my 1st cousin twice removed. His mother Mary Ann was the sister of my Great Grandmother Susan Godbeer.

I am happy to help.

Regards,

Terry Coleman.

Good to talk Terry, and lets hope there is still time!

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Dear GWF pals,

From JCCC...

"We did get a result; sadly the DNA was negative, so we know the remains aren’t those of Edward Norton. They will be buried next week (15thMarch) as those of an Unknown Soldier of the Durham Light Infantry"

Andy

Lest we forget.

Shame. But at least the chap, whoever he is, is being properly laid to rest. Many thanks Andy for doing your bit for him

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Shame. But at least the chap, whoever he is, is being properly laid to rest. Many thanks Andy for doing your bit for him

A collective effort Mark.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, terryc said:

Andy,

Edward is still out there somewhere and if he is found in the future DNA is available immediately.

Regards,

Terry.

That is indeed true Terry, and poignant way to look at it.

All the best!

Andy