Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Meuse-Argonne Offensive

YankeeVin

What are some of your recommendations on books that cover the Meuse-Argonne offensive?  Has anyone read  "To Conquer Hell : The Meuse-Argonne, 1918" by Edward Lengel or "America's Deadliest Battle: Meuse-Argonne, 1918" by Robert Ferrell?  Both get good reviews on Amazon (US), but I think this forum is a better source of knowledge on the subject.  

Edited by YankeeVin

As an introduction to the battle I would recommend a slim paperback Gina M DiNicolo The Meuse-Argonne and the Triumph of American Spirit.

Charles M

I have read both books and both are quite good. To Conquer Hell is the longer and better of the two. Also there is a presentation To Conquer hell on youtube by the books author.

I read Lengel's book several years ago now and enjoyed it.

There is an old thread about the book-

Scott

On 16/01/2018 at 05:27, YankeeVin said:

What are some of your recommendations on books that cover the Meuse-Argonne offensive?  Has anyone read  "To Conquer Hell : The Meuse-Argonne, 1918" by Edward Lengel or "America's Deadliest Battle: Meuse-Argonne, 1918" by Robert Ferrell?  Both get good reviews on Amazon (US), but I think this forum is a better source of knowledge on the subject.  

Excellent book.  have followed a lot of the Argonne battle across the countryside by using it.

But be aware that you really need the IGN maps of the area to read it at home.

Hi healdav,

Which book are you referring to, To Conquer Hell or America's Deadliest Battle?

Thanks!

Edited by YankeeVin

The biggest single problem with To Conquer Hell is the paucity of maps; and I think it does not help having them scattered (there are four that matter, really) throughout the book - you end up with markers all over the place. It would have been better, IMHO, to 'gather' them at the front or the back. And all too often places are mentioned, sometimes quite significant ones, and there is no sign of them on the maps. Having said that, it is a good read and balanced. I have been ploughing through stacks of AEF books (at the moment concentrated on M-A 1918). Amongst other things, there are some very good memoirs. I have also spent quite a bit of time on the battlefield (mainly because I have commissioned a book on it for Battleground Europe). It has few visitors (most people are on the right bank of the Meuse, looking at Verdun and the forts); and most of those make a bee line for the major monuments, such as Montfaucon and the US cemetery at Romagne (the second largest in the world outside the USA). There is so much to see and everything is at a slow pace. Plenty of forestry and large woods; and some very good private museums/trench sites.

Greetings.

I also recommend Lengel's A Companion to the Meuse-Argonne Campaign , which is a good collection of historiographical essays that reflect a number of aspects of the battle.  It's a bit expensive to purchase, but can be obtained via inter-library loans.  I also found Ferrell's America's Deadliest Battle: Meuse-Argonne, 1918" to be highly readable and informative.

(Also, if I may recommend a book I wrote....)  If you are seeking to learn about the German perspective of the battle, you may want to consider the recent second edition of 'Imperial Germany's Iron Regiment of the First World War; The History of Infantry Regiment 169; 1914-1918.   The last two chapters of the book (be sure to see the Second Edition) details IR 169's fatal foray into the Argonne Campaign.  The Regiment entered the battle in late September 1918 with 1,500 men, and only a few dozen were left in ranks by 1 November.  Much of information on these chapters come from the recently translated memoirs of Leutnant Otto Lais, who commanded IR 169's 2nd Machine Gun Company.   Lais was fortunate to be moved to a staff position two days before the regiment's entire front line was annihilated by the Marine Brigade (and attached tanks) of the US 2nd Infantry Division at Landres-et-St. Georges.    Of the 97 men that Lais led into the battle, he was the only man not killed, wounded or captured.  His account certainly conveys the misery of the common German soldier in that campaign.   If you would like further information, as well as an online map of IR 169's movements, you can review it www.ironregiment169.com.

Best wishes with your research on this fascinating campaign.

John Rieth

On 1/16/2018 at 17:27, James A Pratt III said:

I have read both books and both are quite good. To Conquer Hell is the longer and better of the two. Also there is a presentation To Conquer hell on youtube by the books author.

Thanks James!  I actually watched the first half hour last night.  Very interesting...I'll watch the rest tonight.

18 hours ago, Waddell said:

I read Lengel's book several years ago now and enjoyed it.

There is an old thread about the book-

Scott

Thanks for the link Waddell!

2 hours ago, nigelcave said:

The biggest single problem with To Conquer Hell is the paucity of maps; and I think it does not help having them scattered (there are four that matter, really) throughout the book - you end up with markers all over the place. It would have been better, IMHO, to 'gather' them at the front or the back. And all too often places are mentioned, sometimes quite significant ones, and there is no sign of them on the maps. Having said that, it is a good read and balanced. I have been ploughing through stacks of AEF books (at the moment concentrated on M-A 1918). Amongst other things, there are some very good memoirs. I have also spent quite a bit of time on the battlefield (mainly because I have commissioned a book on it for Battleground Europe). It has few visitors (most people are on the right bank of the Meuse, looking at Verdun and the forts); and most of those make a bee line for the major monuments, such as Montfaucon and the US cemetery at Romagne (the second largest in the world outside the USA). There is so much to see and everything is at a slow pace. Plenty of forestry and large woods; and some very good private museums/trench sites.

Thank you nigelcave!  Look forward to reading about it in the Battleground Europe series.

48 minutes ago, German IR 169 said:

Greetings.

I also recommend Lengel's A Companion to the Meuse-Argonne Campaign , which is a good collection of historiographical essays that reflect a number of aspects of the battle.  It's a bit expensive to purchase, but can be obtained via inter-library loans.  I also found Ferrell's America's Deadliest Battle: Meuse-Argonne, 1918" to be highly readable and informative.

(Also, if I may recommend a book I wrote....)  If you are seeking to learn about the German perspective of the battle, you may want to consider the recent second edition of 'Imperial Germany's Iron Regiment of the First World War; The History of Infantry Regiment 169; 1914-1918.   The last two chapters of the book (be sure to see the Second Edition) details IR 169's fatal foray into the Argonne Campaign.  The Regiment entered the battle in late September 1918 with 1,500 men, and only a few dozen were left in ranks by 1 November.  Much of information on these chapters come from the recently translated memoirs of Leutnant Otto Lais, who commanded IR 169's 2nd Machine Gun Company.   Lais was fortunate to be moved to a staff position two days before the regiment's entire front line was annihilated by the Marine Brigade (and attached tanks) of the US 2nd Infantry Division at Landres-et-St. Georges.    Of the 97 men that Lais led into the battle, he was the only man not killed, wounded or captured.  His account certainly conveys the misery of the common German soldier in that campaign.   If you would like further information, as well as an online map of IR 169's movements, you can review it www.ironregiment169.com.

Best wishes with your research on this fascinating campaign.

John Rieth

Hi John,

Your book is actually on my Amazon Wish List.  It looks really interesting...I'll have to place it in my cart for purchase.  

Regards,

Vin

Thanks Vin, hope you enjoy it and thank you for the support!   John

10 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Which is why I said get the IGN maps of the area. Even for a relative local like me it can be confusing.

Quite. But even then, with American names for places, it makes for issues. And then there is the problem of trying to find somewhere that sells the maps 'over there'. Ah well, life was never meant to be easy.

4 hours ago, nigelcave said:

Quite. But even then, with American names for places, it makes for issues. And then there is the problem of trying to find somewhere that sells the maps 'over there'. Ah well, life was never meant to be easy.

They are not cheap, but they are on sale on-line from IGN.FR

I have no idea about overseas postage, etc. but no doubt the websire mentions this!

I love maps and I find that most of my family elders were in that Argonne Forest for most of the Great War.

Now for coverage of 1918 these maps are excellent and provided from the store in Texas. All American.

have a look for yourself.

you will not be disappointed at the detail.

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/ww1/index.html

Hi Martin, these are indeed a great treasure, thanks very much for sharing.     John Rieth

11 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

I love maps and I find that most of my family elders were in that Argonne Forest for most of the Great War.

Now for coverage of 1918 these maps are excellent and provided from the store in Texas. All American.

have a look for yourself.

you will not be disappointed at the detail.

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/ww1/index.html

Don't try to buy IGN historic maps. I was in the market for several, when I was in their HQ in Paris some years ago. I took a big step back when I found that they wanted 180 euros per sheet!

They boasted that they weren't nasty, cheap photcopies, but real reprints.