Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

adam1981

China War Medal 1900

adam1981

Hello all,

I am researching a sailor who died during WW1 who already has some excellent research available online. This states he served in the Boxer Rebellion, on HMS Harfleur (typo). I have obtained the service record and he is indeed on HMS Barfleur during the correct period. If anyone has the China War Medal roll could you please let me know which bars if any Richard is entitled to, or did sailors just get the medal without bars? any information on this medal and awards to HMS Barfleur would be much appreciated.

The sailor in question is 177323 Richard Sanderson, native of Ipswich.

Regards

Adam

aim

Hello Adam,

Peter Duckers' book "British Campaign Medals 1815-1914" says that the Third China War Medal (1900) had three clasps available - 1) Defence of Legations, 2) Taku Forts and 3) Relief of Pekin. The latter two were awarded to the appropriate naval personnel. Do you know what HMS Barfleur got up to during the Boxer Rebellion?

I don't know if you could get the medal without a clasp. Let us know what you find out!

aim

aim

I've been using a well-known search engine!

HMS Barfleur contributed to landing party at the siege of the Taku Forts.

Able Seaman G. Ott of HMS Barfleur got the medal with clasp Relief of Pekin.

Men on HMS Humber got the medal with no clasps.

aim

adam1981

Thanks for this. I am trying to establish if men who went ashore got the bar and those who didn't had the medal. Of interest Basil John Douglas Guy was awarded a VC as part of the company that landed from HMS Barfleur. I have seen a picture of Commander Guy's group and he has the Relief of Pekin clasp on his China Medal. I have seen examples of the medal awarded to men on HMS Barfleur who do not have a clasp, using the DNW auction database, and was hoping the medal roll could confirm men who went ashore and those that didn't, or at least those who have the clasp and don't. If that makes sense!  But have also seen examples on the same database of men from HMS Barfleur who have clasps Relief of Peking and Taku Forts. 

I assume Richard Sanderson would have the China Medal, but don't know which clasps as to working out Richard's involvement in the Boxer Rebellion. The wiki description of the medal gives a description of the qualification for each clasp.

Thanks for your help on this

Adam

ARABIS

Leading Seaman R. Sanderson 177323 was awarded the China War Medal 1900 with clasp RELIEF OF PEKIN. The crew of BARFLEUR were awarded medals with either no clasp, TAKU FORTS, or RELIEF OF PEKIN.

From the medal roll by Fevyer & Wilson.

adam1981

Thanks for this information. Today i got a copy of the page of the medal roll but this recorded the clasp as '3'. Was then going to find other medals that had sold and see what number clasps they were recorded as having.

I also have obtained a copy of Richard Sanderson's service record so will start to look at the rest of his service, should be interesting as these long serving sailors often are. 

Many thanks for the assistance with this.

Regards

Adam

ARABIS

Adam,

If it helps, the number of China War Medals issued to Barfleur were:-

No clasps - 408, returned 10, total 398.

Relief of Pekin - 282, returned, 10, total 272.

Taku Forts - 23, returned 1, total 22.

Taku Forts and Relief of Pekin - 70, returned 0, total 70. 

Also from the medal roll by Fevyer & Wilson.

ARABIS.

jimmytx3

deleted

Edited by jimmytx3

davewithabeard

Hi. You are in luck. If you go on the National Archives UK website this medal roll is available as a free download. Link is....https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C31930

Hope this helps, Dave

davewithabeard

On this subject, anyone know please where the medal roll for this award can be found for civilians and British Army personnel please?

TIA, Dave. Stay safe and happy!

davewithabeard

Hi Maureene.

Thanks had found yesterday on Ancestry but could not find previously in National Archives. Have now downloaded and will "prowl" through at leisure. Many thanks!