Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing PRO MIC/Mis-Sorts

Marc Thompson

Are any PRO/NA 'veterans' able to confirm whether there is any pattern to those rare occasions of missing Medal Index Cards or mis-sorts.

The reason I ask is that I failed to find entries for a couple of soldiers today when at the PRO - both from 2nd Devons?

Obviously, these could be mis-spellings or I just failed to spot them given that I was going cross-eyed looking at microfiche for hours on end.

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc,

I am not an expert at the pro by any means. But I have done my fair share of MIC lookups. I am also doing some research for Chris. I have also emailed Ian Bowbrick the last time I had a problem!

I have learned from these two gentlemen that if you cannot find a soldier he might not of served overseas, therefore not qualified for a medal, and therefore the medal index cards. Also, the MIC's are not in order at all. You need to look through the WHOLE card. I have found men in completely the wrong order ie a Harry among the Peter's, of the same surname etc.

Hope this helps, and if its information you already know, then sorry!

Alie.

Alie is correct, you have to look at the whole card. For instance you may be after William John Smith. You may have to look at the following

William Smith

W J Smith

John William Smith

etc etc

Michael

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Just to complete the Trio (I'm Wilfred by the by :lol: )

The cards should be in regimental order of precedence ie for Infantry, Royal Scots, Queens RW Surrey, Buffs etc.

Alie & Michael are right about checking the permutations of a name - I looked up a guy yesterday whose name I knew to be Rchard Wood Smith - his card was under W Smith!

Ian

Thanks for all your helpful answers.

Although I was aware that the cards should be in regimental order of preference and looked both before and after where the last names overrun I must admit that I didn't have time to look at all the permutations of a name which is probably the answer in this case, especially as one of the names was very common.

It was most likely co-incidence that the two entries that I could not find were both 2nd Devons.

I'll add these two to my list again for the next visit.

Marc