Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Regimental M.O. pocket kit

gwalchmai

As the title suggests, does anyone have any information on the pocket set and its contents. I have found this one on the IWM web site, noted as belonging to Major-General Patrick Henderson DSO, who served in the Royal Army Medical Corps.web, but have no idea if this is a special purchase.Pocket surgical kit belonging to Major-General Patrick Henderson DSO, who served in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

The contents varied because they were bought commercially, as were the injection kits. The Museum of Military Medicine has quite a few and in a variety of contents.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That to me looks like a hotch potch of instruments.

There is a silver catheter, silver probe, 5 inch Spencer Wells artery forceps, aneurysm needle, another probe and a couple of odd instruments so not a proper set. Some of them look as if they could be WW1 period but not sure about the artery forceps. Any date on the suture packet?

No, Im not too worried about the contents as I agree with you there is something of a hotch potch there. The big questions which I am getting mixed answers to is A. I know there were tin pocket instrument sets but did the British use pocket sets in khaki rolls as in the picture. and B. The U.S. and Canada are definitelyusing khaki rolls for small operation cases [ive added a picture as example], but were we?

s-l1600 (3).jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I owned a set similar to yours in the same container. It had the officer's name on it so I looked him up and where he served. Mine had injection stuff in it too but the roll was identical.