Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Pension Records - To go online?

alf mcm

Whilst reading last month about the WFA held pension records being digitized by Ancestry I wondered about the pension records which were found in Edinburgh a few years ago.

Thanks to this blog from Britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/scottish-ww1-pensions-appeal-records.html  it appears that they are to be indexed and digitized, although perhaps only the index will be digitized. This is great news, but may mean that the WFA records does not include Scottish records. We shall need to wait and see what develops.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 5 weeks later...

Alf,

An update.
Looks proising that we'll get a useful resource in time.

https://blog.nrscotland.gov.uk/2018/02/12/home-from-the-front/

I like this passage,
" Over the next two years, we’ll add these records to a custom-built, publicly accessible database. "

Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

" Over the next two years, we’ll add these records to a custom-built, publicly accessible database. "

It depends what their definition of "publicly accessible " is. Time will tell.

Craig

Hopefully it means free to view.

The alternative of course is accessible to anyone who chooses to pay to view.

Seeing as it is a publicly funded body who are organising, scanning and transcribing the records, is it likely to be passed on to Ancestry for them to profit from? Well, could be, if they are being paid to do so.

As you say Craig, time will tell.

Derek.

Having read some PT6 records a couple of years or so ago I am glad to see this. I will be interested to see what "publicly accessible" means. The National Records of Scotland has a large number of digital records which are publicly accessible, but not online. They are accessible on the NRS computers in Edinburgh.

I noticed one thing missing from the fields to be indexed. The records often contain the names of dependents. Since the records go on until 1932, I think this may cause some redaction if the  records go online.

One particular positive about these records. They may be the only surviving records for men who only served at home including some whose service was very short.

Perhaps the other thing to bear in mind. These are the records of the national appeals tribunal (and that they do not start until late 1919), so probably the majority of appeals cases will not be here.

RM

Edited by rolt968

From NRS's own blog, this appears to be cataloguing only, not digitisation: https://blog.nrscotland.gov.uk/2018/02/12/home-from-the-front/

3 hours ago, Derek Black said:

Alf,

An update.
Looks proising that we'll get a useful resource in time.

https://blog.nrscotland.gov.uk/2018/02/12/home-from-the-front/

I like this passage,

Derek.

Thats good news,

At least progress is being made. I think these records will be made available either at the National Records of Scotland or on Scotlandspeople. I can't imagine NRS giving these records to Ancestry of Findmypast to digitise. After all, they have not allowed any images of the 1911 Scotland Census online, apart from on Scotlandspeople.

Regards,

Alf McM

Cataloguing always a good first step.  Digitisation potentially slightly problematic for a little while yet as some material will be essentially medical records (usually closed for 100 years fro date of record), and of course there will doubtless be mentions of children who could potentially still be alive (especially if only born post-war).

1 hour ago, David_Underdown said:

Cataloguing always a good first step.  Digitisation potentially slightly problematic for a little while yet as some material will be essentially medical records (usually closed for 100 years fro date of record), and of course there will doubtless be mentions of children who could potentially still be alive (especially if only born post-war).

I don't remember medical records as such. There are one or two examples of deaths in strange and tragic circumstances.

RM

I forgot to add:

We've been tending to see these only as soldiers' records. In the brief time I had looking at them I did not see any records for RAF men, but I did see records for men from the RN/RNR/RNVR.

RM

Hi 

Just to add that when I scanned through a few of the early boxes [PT1 to PT4] a few years ago there were some RAF files, perhaps around 10 or so.

LIT

• 10 months later...