Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FSMO Field Service Marching Order

Muerrisch

I append the relevant pages of Field Service Pocket Book 1914 ** the edition August 1916.

These specify what SHOULD be worn, not  necessarily what WAS worn.

I believe individual regiments, corps and battalions had their own internal orders and customs on this matter and would be glad of information on these.

** I am aware that the Pocket Book was officially not to be quoted as an authority, but have [surprisingly perhaps] failed to find much help or detail in KRs, Cavalry Training or Infantry Training or Mounted Infantry Training. I don't hold Equipment regs near enough to 1914 to be of any help.

fsmo 1.jpg

fsmo 2.jpg

fsmo3.jpg

fsmo4.jpg

fsmo5.jpg

fsmo6.jpg

fsmo7.jpg

fsmo8.jpg

Hello Muerrisch

The main sources for uniform kits is the Clothing Regulations Parts I and III - Part III covers mobilization.

In Part I, there are various Tables: Table I covers personal clothing for mounted services, Table II ditto for dismounted services, Table II covers public clothing (mostly full-dress head-dresses and greatcoats), and so on, up to Table XVI which covers "necessaries" which are mostly various kinds of brush and cutlery.

Part III also contains various Tables. Table I covers articles to be issued to rejoining reservists and specially enlisted men, Table II covers special additional items supplied to all soldiers proceeding on active service (such as field dressings and clasp-knives), and Table III covers items taken from the place of mobilization by soldiers proceeding on active service, which are divided between mounted and dismounted services and kilted regiments.

I am not aware of any regulations issued by individual regiments, but the multiplicity of classifications within Tables I and II of Part I enable most corps to be covered, as well as highland and lowland Scottish regiments.

From these sources, I compiled a huge spreadsheet some years ago, covering 67 different clothing items and 41 different necessaries items and 42 different types of unit, for home and twelve different overseas stations!

Even all the above do not include the various items described as "accoutrements", mostly belts and other leather items. These are listed in the various sub-sections of Equipment Regulations Part 2.

All in all, the FSPB provides a much more compact statement of what comprised Field Kits - and the inclusion of the weight of each item is peculiar to that publication.

Ron

I think that understandably there has been a little conflation between FSPB, Clothing Regulations, and Orders of Dress as issued by individual units (and, increasingly as time went on, formation headquarters i.e. Brigades and Divisions).  The first two lay down the classifications and entitlement (numerically or by weight) to issue of the many items available.  The latter laid down how the men were to parade, e.g. AB64 pay book in top left pocket, field dressing in jacket compartment, what is to go in large pack and what in haversack, the carriage of spare horse shoes, and so on and so forth.  It was these unit/formation level instructions that generally decreed what shoulder braces were to be worn upon field days, etc. but often with additions, or caveats for full unit mobilisation.

Edited by FROGSMILE

That has reminded me that paras 1711 to 1719 of King's Regulations 1912/14 details the items to be worn and carried in the various orders of dress. IIRC the official booklet describing the Pattern 1908 Web Equipment also refers to what should be carried in the pack and haversack.

Ron

27 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

That has reminded me that paras 1711 to 1719 of King's Regulations 1912/14 details the items to be worn and carried in the various orders of dress. IIRC the official booklet describing the Pattern 1908 Web Equipment also refers to what should be carried in the pack and haversack.

Ron

Yes I believe so, Ron.  This is a timely reminder that KRs/QRs often 'informed' regimental and battalion standing orders in matters of dress and equipment.

Edited by FROGSMILE