Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glamorgan Yeomanry - shoulder titles

MaxD

Was the "Y" above the curved "Glamorgan" itself surmounted by a "1" in the case of 1st/1st Glamorgan Yeomanry?

Max

idris davies rasc nr 037063 (2).jpg

Edited by MaxD
Pic atached

59 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Was the "Y" above the curved "Glamorgan" itself surmounted by a "1" in the case of 1st/1st Glamorgan Yeomanry?

Max

idris davies rasc nr 037063 (2).jpg

It looks like a T-Y-Glamorgan shoulder title that's suffered damage. 

image.png

I did think that but the bottom part of the top piece is almost a mirror image of the top piece of the Y and I could see the top of the T losing its left and right arms but couldn't see how the bottom of the T would end up like an upside down Y.  I also saw the attached which purports to be Glamorgan Yeomanry which looks similar.5a5668fee8b5d_glamorgantyinsd(2).jpg.1533886502e19b1986c72f4b5bef2829.jpg

Wouldn't a "1" have the small forward stroke? (I think the invert Y effect is an optical illusion.)

RM

Edited by rolt968

When second line Battalions or in this case the 2/1 Glamorgan Yeomanry were formed, many soldiers in the first line units (1/1 Glamorgan Yeomanry) would unofficially remove the top part of the T to make it look like a 1. Thus denoting they were a member of the 1/1 Glamorgan Yeomanry. Most commonly seen on Infantry titles, but I'm presuming the principle was the same in the Yeomanry. 

Yes and that would explain why it is possible to find other photos that seem to show the same "doctored" T, had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case - thank you very much.

Max

Accept what you say, folks, but if so was the pre-1908 Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry (IY) title very different?

Clive

Excellent question.  I now must confess that for no good reason I did not include the rest of the pic which shows the cap badge which, although not entirely distinct, 5a5772d4a023c_idrisdaviesrascnr037063(4).jpg.e3bfba39614473c9c4a6bec59b523b3e.jpgmay have the word Imperial in the middle section of the scroll so if the man is indeed pre1908 then I should have  referred to Imperial in my title.  Pic attached for further thoughts.

Edited by MaxD

2 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

Accept what you say, folks, but if so was the pre-1908 Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry (IY) title very different?

Westlake's Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles includes a straight GIY shoulder title which I assume was pre-1908 or hung on from pre-1908.

RM

Westlake shows three shoulder titles, without specific dates: GIY ; T/Y/GLAMORGAN; Y/GLAMORGAN

RM

42 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Roger, so just to be clear, no curved Glamorgan surmounted by Y with I (or 1) above I/T/GLAMORGAN?

Max

I think you mean I/Y/GLAMORGAN?

Both the full GLAMORGANs are curved.

There is no I/Y/GLAMORGAN. But I wouldn't expect it as Westlake (I think) shows only the official versions. This does not preclude the clipped version mentioned in post #7, since it was unofficially created by the men.

RM

• 2 months later...

The clipping proposal is correct and relates in part to the 1/1st over 2/1st argument, but more commonly to the introduction of the military service act 1916 that rendered the differential between regular, national (aka service battalions) and Territorial redundant.  The county associations complained about this but little was done and drafts of men were sent to whichever unit where they were needed regardless of who recruited them.  The impression that Territorials (who in some cases were paid less) were somehow inferior or second rate led to men clipping their T to show just 1.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 10 months later...

1st/1st Yeomen altered the "T" to look like a "1"... in many of the the first line Yeomanry Regiments during the Great War.

Edited by GriffMJ

On 11/01/2018 at 18:18, PhilB said:

As all Yeomanry were Territorials there seems little point in putting both Y and T on the shoulder title?

Interestingly the South Irish Horse, was originally Yeomanry when it was formed, but was transferred to the Special Reserve (Cavalry) in 1908.

Edited by FROGSMILE