Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collection of Bayonets

alantwo

38 minutes ago, trajan said:

Good to see you back SS - yes, another New Year, and Trajan is indeed "still here!" So Happy New Year also to you!:thumbsup:

When you get a chance, have a look at something you might like:

An Investigation of the Weights of Pattern 1907 Bayonets made in the UK around the First World War Period.pdf

Julian,

Congratulations, a most interesting survey, thanks for the link.

Mike.

35 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Congratulations, a most interesting survey, thanks for the link.

Thank you!:) But all credit really to the main author, better known here on GWF as JMB - he did the really hard thinking stuff! 

And note there will be more from us in a similar vein in the future, individually and quite possibly collectively also - and we'll keep you all on GWF posted! 

Trajan,

Thank you for the kind words, but to me it was a 50/50 joint effort !

Regards,

JMB

17 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Trajan,

Thank you for the kind words, but to me it was a 50/50 joint effort !

Regards,

JMB

Read it a while back once first published, and credit to you both. Look forward to the next instalment, so do keep us informed.

give us a clue as to the subject.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Thank you likewise for the kind words.

Next installment concerns the origins of the 10,000 Pattern 1907 Bayonets sent by BSA to Siam to accompany 

the order for SMLE rifles in 1920.

The paper is in press (same journal) and is scheduled to appear in the Spring, 2018 issue.

I’ll post up the link when it becomes available.

Regards,

JMB

14 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Hello Dave,

Next installment concerns the origins of the 10,000 Pattern 1907 Bayonets sent by BSA to Siam to accompany 

The paper is in press (same journal) and is scheduled to appear in the Spring, 2018 issue.

Regards,

JMB

Hello J.M.B.

look forward to it, and many thanks to you both for taking the time to analyse those figures and statistics that we all take for granted but don't probably think of in depth.

all the the very best,

Dave.

24 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Hello Dave,

Regards,

JMB

Did you track down the original contract docs?

I just got another Siamese contract rifle in much better condition than my first.

Haven't seen a bayonet for sale for several months - there was a while when they were regularly popping up on eBay.

Chris

5 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Did you track down the original contract docs?

I just got another Siamese contract rifle in much better condition than my first.

Haven't seen a bayonet for sale for several months - there was a while when they were regularly popping up on eBay.

Chris

Haven't seen a bayonet for a few years now....used to be qiute regular here. Turned down a few, wished I hadn't now!!😢.

Just now, Dave66 said:

Haven't seen a bayonet for a few years now....used to be qiute regular here. Turned down a few, wished I hadn't now!!😢.

Well prompted by this post I went and looked, and there is in fact one currently listed on eBay -rather expensive though!

I pick them up whenever I see them - hoping one day to find the match to my rifles number -- hey it's a 2/10,000 chance right :lol:

Chris

16 hours ago, trajan said:

The bayonet itself is one of the late model French M. 1866 "Lebel" versions - "late" because although it has the "German silver" hilt associated with the original model, it has lost its quillon and so should be a - if a recall correctly - a 1916 one. There should be a number on the base of the crossguard. 

BUT, does this have a 40cm blade? In which case it might be (as the scabbard and frog suggest) a WW2 German conversion - a "Seitengewehr 103(f)". The frog looks original, and so a fairly rare item! 

Trajan

Many thanks. I'm going to take another look at the collection as others have suggested additional markings might be found on the bayonets; I'll see if the ones suggested by yourself are there. 

Regards

Alan

18 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

... Thank you likewise for the kind words. ... Next installment concerns the origins of the 10,000 Pattern 1907 Bayonets sent by BSA to Siam to accompany 

the order for SMLE rifles in 1920. ... 

Yes, thanks Dave and all others who had a peep at the article, which really was JMB's baby, so there mate!:thumbsup:

As for my next one it is probably going to be a properly referenced account of the Peabody-Martini M.1874, for which there is documentary and putative archaeological evidence for its use into WW1 and, indeed, documentary evidence for its "use" (i.e., being on the books) up to the 1930's... This one is in draft and fights with another, a general documentary account on Ersatz bayonets, to be finished first...!!!

Like JMB, I'll keep you posted!

Julian

9 hours ago, alantwo said:

Many thanks. I'm going to take another look at the collection as others have suggested additional markings might be found on the bayonets; I'll see if the ones suggested by yourself are there. 

Please do! Looks to be a bit of a mish-mash collection, as it were, but I am pretty confident on the identification of that WW2 period converted French one as I have something similar myself - but without a scabbard, never mind the right frog! If you like, though, I can ask around on the ID of that one, especially that frog.

Oh, and yes - the conversion and scabbard and frog are indeed WW2 - but the bayonet is a WW1 type, so discussion does belong here!

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:56, trajan said:

Please do! Looks to be a bit of a mish-mash collection, as it were, but I am pretty confident on the identification of that WW2 period converted French one as I have something similar myself - but without a scabbard, never mind the right frog! If you like, though, I can ask around on the ID of that one, especially that frog.

Oh, and yes - the conversion and scabbard and frog are indeed WW2 - but the bayonet is a WW1 type, so discussion does belong here!

Trajan

Thanks for your reply. Any information you can add would be gratefully received. I used the term collection but I just happened to see them hanging up under the staircase in my relatives house, I'd never seen them before. I'll ask when I see him next why he has them, but I think he just picked them up from time to time when he was younger; not a serious collector shall we say. As yourself and others have helpfully suggested there may be more information on the bayonets, if not corroded away, I'll take a look and report back.

Regards

Alan

• 4 months later...
On 1/13/2018 at 19:15, JMB1943 said:

Hello Dave,

Regards,

JMB

As promised, the link is 

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17416124.2018.1436491

Regards,

JMB