Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
AmericanTommy

14th Division War Diaries- Spring Offensive

AmericanTommy

Hello all!

I'm currently working on a project exploring the effects of reorganization on those divisions which were heavily damaged during the German Spring Offensives of 1918. In particular I'm looking at the 14th (Light) Division's destruction and subsequent rebuilding. (I'd like to see what impact this had upon remembrance of the Division, it's battalions, and the Army as a whole.) I was wondering before I go and spend plenty of £££ at the TNA website on war diaries, if anyone had utilized those war diaries and found enough in them to warrant purchase? I've been told by some that most of the battalion war diaries were destroyed or captured during the initial attacks. Thanks for any help!

James

stiletto_33853

James,

The 14th Division most certainly was not the same Division especially after it returned home to refit and with the absorption of Category B troops and other units and lost effectively it's Green Jackets soul. Can I help in anything specific?? There is also the matter of the 16th Irish Division being effectively put under the 14th Div and the Portuguese troops in the latter part of the war.

I have all the 14th Div Diaries, although these are all photographs before they were scanned and put on Ancestry, however these scans are far from complete.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853