Happy New Year.

I have just purchased a Flexible saw..

The description that was with it was..

"WW1 Flexible saw in Dogskin case, 1915"

I have photographed it below

Details taken from it so far are...

The Pouch has engraving on the back "John Pound & Co 1915"

The saw has engraving on it " Peugeot Freres"  Peugeot Brothers and the symbol

So far looking not found any similar or any more details on it?

One handle looks original but the other replaced during its time in use.

I believe possibly a Sappers of the Royal Engineers used in the trenches?

Any further information greatly appreciated?

With Thanks

Andy

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Edited by andy2014

Trench saw, quite common as a number were issued to all units (not just engineers), still in use post WW2. Looks like you are missing  a tool from the kit. A tooth straightener I think.

Edited by alastaircox

8 minutes ago, alastaircox said:

Trench saw, quite common as they as a number were issued to all units (not just engineers), still in use post WW2. Looks like you are missing  a tool from the kit. A tooth straightener I think.

Interesting! thanks, there is a small pocket in the middle inside the pouch? will look into it.

It is still incredibly sharp!

Thanks again.

A small needle file would also slot in the underside of the flap...not uncommon to see sets missing the two accessories.

mine is a similar Peugeot but with a broad arrow so British issue.

Dave.

You can see the saw tooth setting tool in this photo I borrowed from the web, as well as the file.

The tool isn't for straightening the saw teeth, but for bending them outwards so you get a usable kerf as you cut.

They sometimes turn up on the bay or in junk tool collections as most people haven't a clue what their for.

image.png.60be43d5e9f6f720cd63165a838e230b.png

A photograph showing a flexible saw being used by soldiers of the 1/6th South Staffords in the line in front of Wulverghem in April 1915.

6th South Staffords flexible saw.jpg

25 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

A small needle file would also slot in the underside of the flap...not uncommon to see sets missing the two accessories.

mine is a similar Peugeot but with a broad arrow so British issue.

Dave.

Hi Dave, do I assume this is French issued or at least French manufactured? did they supply it in the Uk made case? 

I can see the holders for needle file now, wonder if you can get the missing parts?

Thanks for replying.

Andy

15 minutes ago, T8HANTS said:

You can see the saw tooth setting tool in this photo I borrowed from the web, as well as the file.

The tool isn't for straightening the saw teeth, but for bending them outwards so you get a usable kerf as you cut.

They sometimes turn up on the bay or in junk tool collections as most people haven't a clue what their for.

image.png.60be43d5e9f6f720cd63165a838e230b.png

Excellent, i will be looking for them now!

Edited by andy2014

Hello Andy,

My saw is Peugeot manufactured, but has the broad arrow stamp indicating British issue. The case is stamped J.D.W.&co 1915, and one of the handles stamped .....&Co 1915.

Not the best of condition and missing both the file and the setting tool, but I believe an original Great War period piece.

Photo below for comparison, and best of luck finding the other bits.

Dave

image.jpeg

Featured on several threads over the years, including one to which I contributed in November after I saw a saw at a Great War exhibition in Newbury:

link

Another thread

though I haven't checked if all  the links therein still work.

Andy's looks a very fine example, and I was interested in Andrew's old photograph - and the others in this thread are excellent.

Modern versions are available and appear to be used by adventurous types on remote expeditions who need to pack as much as possible into a rucksack.

Moonraker

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Hello Andy,

My saw is Peugeot manufactured, but has the broad arrow stamp indicating British issue. The case is stamped J.D.W.&co 1915, and one of the handles stamped .....&Co 1915.

Not the best of condition and missing both the file and the setting tool, but I believe an original Great War period piece.

Photo below for comparison, and best of luck finding the other bits.

Dave

image.jpeg

Hi Dave

Nice sample, and with the stamped handle, i will be looking for the file and tool so hopefully can complete the set.

It is a beast of a thing and very sharp.

Luckily well oiled and looked after.

Thanks

Andy

40 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Featured on several threads over the years, including one to which I contributed in November after I saw a saw at a Great War exhibition in Newbury:

link

Another thread

though I haven't checked if all  the links therein still work.

Andy's looks a very fine example, and I was interested in Andrew's old photograph - and the others in this thread are excellent.

Modern versions are available and appear to be used by adventurous types on remote expeditions who need to pack as much as possible into a rucksack.

Moonraker

Great links, Thanks, very interesting.

• 5 months later...

any idea on value?

Very interesting; just paid £30 for one with pouch and saw and 2 handles

I paid £30 for these and I felt that this was a good deal. Becoming rarer I think.

36344277_10215481730812011_5848311578025263104_n.jpg

3 hours ago, casperdog said:

I paid £30 for these and I felt that this was a good deal. Becoming rarer I think.

36344277_10215481730812011_5848311578025263104_n.jpg

Hello casperdog,

these pop up occasionally, but not sure as to rarity....I think I paid 35 and brought purely because of the dated handle guaranteed a Great War piece...(these were commonly used in the Second World War also).

its more an interesting little connection to life in the trenches.

Dave.

1 hour ago, Dave66 said:

Hello casperdog,

these pop up occasionally, but not sure as to rarity....I think I paid 35 and brought purely because of the dated handle guaranteed a Great War piece...(these were commonly used in the Second World War also).

its more an interesting little connection to life in the trenches.

Dave.

Yes the chap wanted £80 originally and that was a big fat no. But £30 I am happy with and I think  it's a WW1 model due to the leather case style etc.

4 hours ago, casperdog said:

Yes the chap wanted £80 originally and that was a big fat no. But £30 I am happy with and I think  it's a WW1 model due to the leather case style etc.

It's worth pointing out the style is no guarantee of date. This is my own example, identical to WW1 issue in every respect but clearly dated 1942 on the leather case:

https://postimg.cc/image/dphpvhz4t/

Date.jpg

5 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

It's worth pointing out the style is no guarantee of date. This is my own example, identical to WW1 issue in every respect but clearly dated 1942 on the leather case:

https://postimg.cc/image/dphpvhz4t/

Date.jpg

Yes 

point taken, I need to take note of that thank you

Dave

• 1 year later...

I have one but it is in a canvass webbing pouch with the crowsfoot and letter N.... any idea when they moved to canvass pouches from leather or possible date. 

Some excellent photos in this thread.