Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V.A.D nurse Mentioned 1917. R.R.C. 2nd. Class 1918. Any help please.

deacs

Can someone help me understand a VAD card please.

I am researching a Matron Grace Elizabeth Dodgson of Cockermouth,Cumberland who was a matron at Dane John Hospital, Canterbury. I have just found her VAD card on the British Red Cross web site and would like some help please.

I notice on the  HONOURS AWARDED: Mentioned 1917. R.R.C. 2nd. Class 1918.  Can someone please tell me what this means please this is the bit I am really wanting to know as all the other bits are a bit easy to understand even for me.

Another question I have is did VAD nurses get any medals ?

Here is the transcribed card.

FORENAME:
Grace Elizabeth
SURNAME:
Dodgson
ADDRESS:
Derwent House, Cockermouth
COUNTY:
N/A
AGE WHEN ENGAGED:
N/A
CHARACTER:
N/A
SERVICE FROM:
24/04/1915
SERVICE TO:
08/05/1918
HOSPITAL:
Dane John, Canterbury
PREVIOUS ENGAGEMENT:
N/A
RANK AT ENGAGEMENT:
-
DATE OF ENGAGEMENT:
24/04/1915
PAY AT ENGAGEMENT:
1 guinea per wk. - board, lodging & washing
RANK AT TERMINATION:
-
DATE OF TERMINATION:
08/05/1918
PAY AT TERMINATION:
25/- per wk. - board, lodging & washing
PARTICULARS OF DUTIES:
Matron, Dane John Hospital, Canterbury
WHOLE OR PART TIME:
Whole time.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
N/A
DEPARTMENT:
N/A
COMMISSION:
Kent V.A.D. 186
CERTIFICATE NO:
N/A
HONOURS AWARDED:
Mentioned 1917. R.R.C. 2nd. Class 1918

Regards Mike.

It stands for Royal Red Cross. Instituted 1883 specifically for women in the nursing service. 1st Class meant you were a member and 2nd an associate. So first class winners could use the post nominals RRC. 2nd ARRC. Ray’s link gives you more details

Will have been published in London Gazette.

edit

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30758/supplement/7311

Edited by Mark1959

Fantastic thanks very much that makes it a heck of a lot easier to understand cheers. Just found the Red Cross Web site thanks to the forum and have been researching all those who either were from Cockermouth and served in the VAD and who served at Cockermouth castle when it opened as a hospital and found some connections to my research on the men who are on Cockermouth memorial so well chuffed with that cheers to the forum.

Regards Mike. 

Edited by deacs

Mike,

Some details of her ARRC are here https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2frrcr%2f00002948

She was a Trained Nurse rather than a VAD. Voluntary Aid Detachments would each have a Trained Nurse as Nursing Superintendent. VAD's {and Trained Nurses} were eligible for medals, including the 1914 Star, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, British Victory Medal and Military Medal, if they met the neccessary criteria.

There are a few interesting passenger lists on Ancestry for Grace on Ancestry.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf looking at her family on Ancestry all her family were involved in the medic side her dad was a doctor her mam and sisters were either VAD at Cockermouth castle or nurses  with 2 of her sisters were with her at Dane, Unfortunately I don't have find my past.

Her brother was killed in WW1 Edward Hughes Dodgson RE and his wife Annie was also at Dane.

Mike.

I think her service actually extended into 1919. Same details as opening post but different end date

see

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?&id=62330

it would also seem she had a fondness for Madeira. Seems to be a regular destination. Plenty of visits in the 1920s and 1930s according to multiple passenger lists. Many other places as well.

Edited by Mark1959

I just noticed the other card for her Mark and cheers for the link to the Gazette just noticed your edit with the link cheers.

Here is a George VI issue of the Royal Red Cross 1st Class (R.R.C.). The First World War version was the same but with King George V's head.

Sepoy

0005.jpg

Mike,

With regards to 'Honours Awarded'. 'Mentioned' refers when Grace was 'brought to the notice' of the Secretary of State for War' on 20th October 1917. Being 'brought to the notice' was a lesser award than being 'Mentioned in Despaches', and was for meritorious behaviour outwith a war zone. There was no medal or emblem, although the award was supposed to be recorded in a person's service record. The only public reference to this award was when it was printed in the 'Times' newspaper. Grace should have written that she was 'Noticed' rather than 'Mentioned' on her Red Cross Record Card. Grace was recorded as Miss G. Dogson, Superintendant, Dane John Auxiliary Hospital, Canterbury.

Also 'noticed' in the same issue of the Times was Miss L.L. Dodgson, Almeric Paget Military Massage Corps, Military Convalescent Hospital, Woodcote Park, Epsom.

Mrs. H. Dodgson, who worked for the Forage Department {Northern Area}, part of the Department of the Quarter Master General in the War Office, was 'noticed' on 8th March 1919.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks everybody for all your input into my request, as always it is very much appreciated cheers.

Regards Mike

• 8 months later...