Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was the Record Price paid for a GVR MC group?

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs,

One has seen huge prices for medal groups: but the question is:.

What was the highest price paid for a, say, 1914-20 era Military Cross GVR group, in recent times?

Kim. 

Dear Richard,

Many thanks for that: most illuminating. After all, Rawson's MC and Two Bars, plus 15 Trio to the RE and Olympic Gold (!) sold several years ago for well over thirty thousand Pounds.

Interestingly, Rawson died young (at only 60), a similar age as my grandfather, W. F. Lindsay, MC, ED; 1880-1940, whose MC was with 53 Bn.,5a524f9571400_Capt-Lt-ColW.F.LindsayMCEDobv.jpg.54da44912ad2753a62ce103d8ea2a5da.jpg AIF (1 Sep 1918 at Peronne, a VC action).

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

• 5 weeks later...

I suppose that the No 1 contender might be Francis Wallington should his group ever come up. He was one of only 4 Men to be awarded the MC FOUR Times........but he was also the First man to actually be awarded the Military Cross.

• 2 months later...

Dear Droocoo, 

Yes, I am inclined to agree with you. Thanks for attaching the link: much appreciated.

This is off-topic, but Capt Petersen is my kind of Officer! Amusingly, he and I have one medal in common: the Australian Defence Medal (mine is impressed 2202024 K. J. LINDSAY). In fact, I once toyed with the idea of applying for OCS Portsea (Petersen had graduated ten years beforehand), but got into advertising instead...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay